Go back to the Job List
Worship Arts PastorPosted by: Lane Fusilier
Posted date: 2013-Jun-24
Worship Arts Pastor October 2013
Profile, Job Description pending
We are searching for a Worship Arts Pastor (WAP), a musician who is also a pastor, a leader, and an artist. As an artist, the WAP will draw other artists, nurture them, and develop them into a worship-arts community.
Worship is the enjoyment and celebration of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Spirit. Scripture, music, prayer, and silence before Him are some of the many elements that prepare and prompt us to delight in God and His work for us.
Worship and the arts blend in every congregation. Our passion is to express our love for God, His people, and His creation through the artistic gifts granted us. The celebration of God extends far beyond worship events on a Sunday morning; we want to continually express our love for Him with the creative flair God has shown in making the world. Thus, the Arts include a broad array of drama, music, painting, sculpture, etc., both within the church body and in the community.
Qualifications/Paradigms: The person we are seeking
is a passionate disciple of Jesus, with a pattern of growth and maturity in Christ.
is relationally warm and engaging.
has some experience balancing various life roles (e.g., spouse, parent, minister, etc.)
is a leader - someone with vision, passion, and determination
appreciates the depths and richness of our historic hymnody, but acknowledges that much is also not theologically accurate.
has appropriate musical training.
appreciates the renaissance within contemporary Christian music; attempts to recapture well-written, passionate, and doctrinally-rich music.
appreciates the best of what's new - from within mainstream CCM movement, and the indie artists who are mining the depths of Scripture.
is an artist - someone who can weave various images, sounds, media, elements, etc, together into a beautiful, compelling worship event, reflecting excellence in design and skill.
has a pastoral / shepherding gift, able to respond to needs among the people, and feel a pastoral ownership of the congregation that non-pastors don't, which will help guide worship choices and direction.
has a biblical and theological foundation; a seminary degree is not required, but biblical depth will be essential.
Job Description to be developedwith the particular talents, gifts, and passions of the person hired!
However, there are some basics that will continue from the current pattern:
1. We have two Sunday morning worship services, an early contemporary service and a later more blended/traditional service.
2. The WAP will be responsible for planning the worship/arts content of both services with the person preaching on a particular week.
3. The WAP will report to the Senior Pastor.
4. The WAP will report to the Board monthly, through written updates given to the Senior Pastor.
1. Expectations are that this will be a full-time position. We may find just the right person who is not yet able to commit full-time hours to the role, but could transition into those hours over time. The role as described will eventually require such time investments.
2. Our congregation is in downtown Hamilton, part of the city core. We are located across the street from Copps Coliseum, the largest sports and entertainment facility in the region.
3. Congregational size and mix: our attendance in two worship services typically totals three to four hundred adults plus children. The contemporary service covers a broad age spectrum, average age being under 35. The blended service has a narrower age spectrum, average age being over 65. Each week, believers gather for worship with us from every continent, and more than 50 countries. We are delighted to be a multi-ethnic community.
4. Brief history of Philpott Church: Peter W. Philpott sent a trained leader to plant the Hamilton Gospel Tabernacle in 1892. Four years later, Philpott himself came to lead the work. From this base, he sent out other trained pastoral leaders to launch groups around the Golden Horseshoe. The Associated Gospel Churches were associated after his departure for Moody Memorial Church in Chicago, though Philpotts leadership resulted in the several congregations that formed the group. The Hamilton Gospel Tabernacle was renamed Philpott Memorial Church in 1956, shortly after the death of Mr. Philpott. The phrase A Community of Grace became an informal subtitle of the church in the early 2000s as it became an accurate description of the congregation. We typically have 150 attend the second service at 11:15, which is blended in style. We typically have 200 (with another 35-50 children in their various classes, simultaneously) in the first service at 9:30, which is more contemporary in style.
5. PMC has a long history of outreach and global missions. We currently support more than a dozen families with 20% of our offerings.
6. If you are interested or would like additional information, please contact our Senior Pastor, Lane Fusilier, by email: lanefusilieryahoo.com .