|at Union Gospel Mission (view profile)|
|Date Posted||September 8, 2017|
|Category|| Other |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Chief Financial Officer
Union Gospel Mission (UGM), in demonstrating the love of Christ, is determined to transform communities by overcoming poverty, homelessness and addiction one life at a time. Since 1940, UGM has provided meals, shelter, outreach and chaplaincy services that relieve suffering and renew hope. Over the years their programs and services have broadened, increasing their community impact through life recovery and preventative programs, education and job preparation, and affordable housing.
UGM is currently seeking a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) with at least seven (7) years of senior level experience, who is passionate about providing strategic leadership and wise financial guidance. With a current operating budget in the $18 million range, the CFO is charged with refining UGM’s financial practices and ensuring they are consistently aligned and effectively managed throughout the organization. As the organization prepares to head into the next phase of expansion, the CFO will guide and direct the development of more rigorous financial and risk management strategies, and contribute to operating and capital plans that will propel them forward.
As a key member of the Senior Leadership Team, the CFO has the opportunity to nurture an organizational culture that is crucial to UGM’s continued success. Foundational to living out their values of Christ-centeredness, integrity, excellence and relationships, is their intentional practice of building grace-based relationships, where understanding and empathy are offered between all staff members and guests. Additionally, UGM’s vibrant work environment encourages staff to research and develop effective new “best practices” to ensure the best service possible for every guest. Essentially, each employee plays a part in feeding hope. The CFO has the opportunity to speak into this exciting process.
As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the CFO participates in developing short and long-term strategic direction for the organization. The CFO works closely with the Board’s Finance Committee and also guides or manages the following areas, as applicable:
- Operating and Capital Budgets.
- Budget Management.
- Treasury Management.
- Financial Reporting and Services.
- Risk Management.
- Finance Team Leadership.
- Overseeing the collection and reporting of organizational performance statistics.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field. Accounting designation required. MBA preferred.
- Minimum 7-10 years’ experience in a senior leadership position in finance, with experience in strategic leadership. Not-for-profit background preferred.
- Strong background in finance with an advanced understanding of accounting procedures and protocol.
- Advanced knowledge of BC and federal tax law, and federal regulations regarding charities.
- Strong background in operations excellence, with top execution skills.
- Strong business acumen with a consultative approach to find creative solutions to real problems.
- Experience in giving quality advice and coaching managers through challenging operational or employee issues.
- Advanced Excel computer skills; intermediate skills in other office software; demonstrated experience in accounting software.
- Experience working in a Christian organization an asset.
As a Senior Leader in a faith-based organization, the incumbent of this position must be a committed Christian, and is required to sign the UGM Statement of Faith as a condition of employment. The Statement of Faith can be found in the Opportunity Profile, which may be requested via email, and on the UGM website, listed below.
Further information on Union Gospel Mission can be found at: www.ugm.ca
If you or someone you know, would like to start a confidential conversation about this opportunity or to receive a more detailed Opportunity Profile, please contact:
Candace Bishop, Research Assistant at email@example.com
Hutchinson Group Inc. is an executive search firm specializing in the recruitment of executive management and fundraising personnel in the charitable sectors. With associates in Vancouver, Toronto and Ottawa, we work with a diverse group of not-for-profit organizations.