|at Maple Avenue Baptist Church (view profile)|
|Date Posted||April 12, 2017|
|Category|| Other |
|Job Type|| Intership |
MABC Children & Youth Summer 2017 Student Worker Job Description
Reports to: Jenna Ibrahim (Director of Children’s Ministry) & Yuta Seki (Youth Minister)
Post Date: April 12, 2017
Start Date: June 1, 2017 (or after)
End Date: August 25, 2017
The mission statement of Maple Avenue Baptist Church is “becoming more like Christ, leading more to Christ,” which really is a catchy way of stating the Great Commission (Matt 28:18–20). Our desire is that people come to know Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour, and then to grow in that relationship with Him. This is our overarching goal at our church.
One of the specific ways that we accomplish this is through our summer student worker program. Our student workers will have the opportunity to gain ministry and leadership experience in the context of a local church, but they will also be mentored and discipled as they learn and grow under the leadership of MABC.
The program will run from the beginning of June until the end of August (see more details of hours/wage below), and will consist of a variety of tasks/responsibilities. The summer students workers will be exposed primarily to the children’s and youth ministries at MABC, and will be heavily involved in the planning and running of our 2 summer camps (a vacation Bible school, and a Christian sports camp).
Applicants should also note that areas of responsibility and particular tasks assigned will differ for each student worker; for example, one might be assigned to work more closely with the Youth Minister, while another might be assigned to work more closely with the Director of Children’s Ministry in planning the summer camps. Given the nature of the program and church ministry, the summer student workers will need to have a servant attitude and be flexible in the ways and areas in which they work/serve.
Requirements / Qualifications:
- Our summer student workers must be professing believers in Jesus Christ, and have a growing relationship with Him.
- Must support and abide by the doctrinal statement of Maple Avenue Baptist Church.
- Must have completed full-time study in the previous academic year and be returning to full-time study in the fall 2017 semester (either high school or post-secondary).
- Must be available to work full-time for the entire duration of the program (8–13 weeks); see specific dates below.
- We are looking for young men and women who are humble, teachable, reliable, and faithful.
- Must have a current police reference check with vulnerable sector.
- Be willing to go through the Plan to Protect (child protection training) with MABC staff.
- Preference may be given to those who are a member at and/or regularly attend MABC.
- Having a license and accessible car is not required, but is considered an asset.
- Attend all youth ministry events, in order to serve and participate.
- Assist the Youth Minister in planning and executing certain summer ministry events (e.g. planning the program for a youth event, organizing games, ordering food, overseeing open gym times, sharing a testimony, etc.).
- Support the Youth Minister in regularly meeting with students and parents who are a part of the youth ministry.
- Prepare for, coordinate, and execute VBS, alongside the Director of Children’s Ministry.
- Prepare for, coordinate, and execute the Maple Avenue Sports Camp, alongside the Youth Minister.
- Prepare for and teach Children’s Church (in order to give regular teachers a break).
- Prepare for fall ministries: organize resources room, decorate classrooms, set-up administrative systems.
- Create fun activities for our church-wide Farm Fellowships for both children and adults.
- Attend and participate in the regular staff-intern meetings.
- Attend (and serve, where applicable) the Sunday morning worship services at MABC (yes, this is part of your job description).
- Attend the other church-wide functions/meetings of MABC (i.e. monthly prayer meetings, farm fellowships).
- Complete the reading assignments given by the ministry staff of MABC.
- Other tasks as assigned by the ministry staff of MABC.
Compensation / Hours:
- The program will run from Thursday, June 1st to Friday, August 25th, 2017.
- The exact number of weeks/hours worked will be dependent upon the government funding MABC receives; student workers will work anywhere from 8 to 13 full-time (30–40 hour) weeks.
- The wage is $11.40/hour.
- Note: MABC does not provide housing/billeting for our summer student workers; applicants would need to live locally and/or commute each working day.
- Please submit the following to Yuta Seki at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A cover letter indicating: 1) why you would like to be a summer student worker at MABC, and 2) why you would be an asset to the youth/children’s ministries at MABC (by God’s grace, of course) [1 page, single-spaced]
- Personal testimony of faith [1 page, single-spaced]
- Application deadline: April 30th, 2017
- Selected candidates will be contacted to schedule an interview.