|Company Location||Erin, Canada|
The Avalon program was established in 1998 for the purpose of providing specialized treatment for children and teens whose needs are complex (mental health concerns, emotional issues, trauma, developmental delay, etc.)
Many of the young people that reside at Avalon come from environments lacking in structure, consistency and positive reinforcement. Others have come from healthy, loving families who are no longer able to manage their difficult behaviours or keep them safe in a community setting.
Avalon operates several specialized foster homes in London, Shelburne, Norwich, Woodstock, Listowel, Barrie, Stoney Creek, Innerkip, Thamesville and Erin Township. Avalon’s foster homes provide care for children and youth who would benefit from a low-stimulation environment while meeting their needs for treatment and supervision.
Avalon opened its first foster home in 2009. Initially, we fostered from Avalon owned homes and foster parents were recruited to live there. For the first few years, we ran six homes in the Guelph and Erin area. In 2014 we looked to expand our program. We actively recruited foster parents that wanted to foster from their own homes. We opened the first privately owned home in the summer of 2014 with a second home later that year. In recent years we have seen further expansion in this area, with a reduction in the Avalon owned homes. We now have homes in London, Woodstock, Norwich, Shakespeare, Stoney Creek, Shelburne, Erin, and Barrie. In particular, over the last two years, we have hired foster parents with a wealth of experience in this field.
Supports and Services That We Offer
As an agency, we recognize the truly unique role of a foster parent. We have identified that to be successful in providing the highest quality of care we need to provide a high degree of support to our foster parents. We have been able to achieve this in a number of ways:
• Each home has an assigned Resource Supervisor to oversee the children’s case and the Program Manager provides specific supports to the foster parents;
• Additional support in the home is provided by Child and Youth Workers;
• Regular supervision of both foster parents and children;
• Foster parent meetings/trainings are held every other month.
We are also mindful of the importance of the treatment component to our homes.
We Currently Provide the Following
• Individual counselling, either with our Clinical Supervisor or sourced externally in the local area;
• Play/Art Therapy. We hold a weekly group in the Woodstock area or again this can be sourced locally;
• Music Therapy;
• Behavioural Therapists;
• Psychological and Psychiatric assessments can be facilitated.
We are always looking for people that are interested in opening up their homes to a foster child. We are also looking for suitably qualified individuals to work with our foster children and to support our foster parents.
If you would like further information on any aspect of our foster care program, then please do not hesitate to contact our Foster Care Program Manager Rob Holtam by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 519-855-9841.
Current job openings at Avalon Treatment Homes
- Currently this employer doesn't have any openings.