|Date Posted||August 31, 2020|
ADMISSIONS COUNSELLOR (Part-Time)
For nearly 40 years, Redeemer University has stood out across Canada for its commitment to a Christian undergraduate liberal arts and sciences education that develops the whole person. Rooted in a Reformed Biblical worldview, and including a diverse community representing over 50 Christian denominations, Redeemer seeks to answer the fundamental questions about where we fit into God’s story while it prepares students to engage in society’s biggest challenges. A rigorous academic program with an interdisciplinary core is supported by a vibrant community characterized by caring discipleship. The result is an enriching and transformational educational experience integrating faith, learning and service.
Redeemer offers 39 majors and streams that lead to either a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Education degree. Redeemer currently serves nearly 800 students, with almost 100 faculty and growing. Faculty are engaged in teaching, service to the community, and research, some of which is supported in part by the Natural Sciences & Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), the Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), and other funding agencies and donors.
A privately funded and publicly chartered institution, Redeemer offers excellent Christ-centred undergraduate teaching, strong investments in research, rich student-faculty interaction, and unique opportunities for experiential and holistic learning. As a member of Universities Canada, Redeemer produces graduates who are accepted into graduate programs across the continent and beyond. In recent national surveys, Redeemer students have ranked the school as one of the top universities in Canada for overall student satisfaction, especially for providing a nurturing and challenging academic environment along with its warm on-campus community.
Located on a beautiful 86-acre campus in Hamilton, Ontario, Redeemer operates under a charter from the Government of Ontario and is a member of Universities Canada (UC), the Council for Christian s and Universities (CCCU), and the Canadian Council of Christian Charities (CCCC).
The Admissions Counsellor (AC) is the front-line representative of Redeemer University with respect to prospective students, their families and key stakeholders. The AC is responsible for all recruitment efforts and achieving enrolment targets within their assigned caseload. This position is available as a 60% position and the primary focus is on recruiting and working with transfer students.
- Prepare, plan and execute recruitment plans in relation to an assigned caseload
- Build relationships with key strategic contacts in promoting Redeemer’s mission and vision.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to prospective applicants and other stakeholders
- Develop recruiting processes, systems, and communications that are relevant to a specific caseload of students
- Guide prospective students through the admission funnel with the ultimate goal of those students matriculating.
- Occasional travel to represent Redeemer University to prospective students and their families at fairs, events and conferences is important to success in this position. (approximately 2-4 weeks per year).
- Work cooperatively with the Senior Admissions Manager to develop and implement long-term recruitment plans
Preferred Skills and Attributes:
- Your experience demonstrates a strong customer relations and/or student service focus.
- You excel in people-oriented environments and you listen well to others’ needs.
- You understand young adults and their cultural context and are able to formulate clearly and concisely how Redeemer fits into a young adult’s goals and plans.
- You have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- You understand and are able to effectively articulate the mission of the University.
- You can communicate what is unique about the Reformed Christian tradition and what is unique about Redeemer’s place in higher education.
- You understand data and how to make use of it in support of your work.
- You have a valid driver’s license and are willing to regularly travel on University business including weekends and evenings (approximately 2-4 weeks per year).
- You are organized and are able to work effectively in high stress environments.
- You have an understanding of the Ontario education system (both secondary and post-secondary).
- You understand modern communications and technology - including social media, CRM software, Google apps for business and Microsoft Office.
- You are able to preserve and maintain confidentiality of student data and records.
- Understanding of, and commitment to Redeemer University (mission, values, and Reformed Christian identity) and ability to articulate its mission effectively and persuasively
- Active membership in a church that nurtures the Christian faith as articulated in the confessional heritage of the Protestant Reformation
- Participate in communal activity that supports and encourages a university campus environment where the holistic development of all persons embodies Christian principles that advance the mission and Christian character of Redeemer University
- You have a Baccalaureate degree and a minimum of one year of related work experience
Position Reports to: Sr. Admissions Manager
Submit Applications to: HR@redeemer.ca (please quote Position Title in Subject line)
Expiry Date: please submit application asap
Applicants are requested to email their application materials and include a statement that articulates their faith perspective and its relation to the mission of Redeemer University. A range of qualifications are evaluated including distinguishing characteristics that demonstrate congruence with our identity as a university in the Protestant and Reformed Christian tradition. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.