|Location||New Hamburg, Canada|
|Date Posted||January 10, 2023|
Duration: May - August 31
The Assistant Program Directors are a key part of the summer camp leadership team focusing primarily on assisting the Program Director by providing support, encouragement, feedback and spiritual care to the summer staff team. The two Assistant Program Directors, ideally one male and one female, will share the responsibilities of the role equally with specific elements of the role divided between the two depending on the strengths and experiences of the applicants.
Requirements for all Staff
- Motivated to make a difference and have a positive impact on our society and community.
- Has a genuine love for, and interest in, working with children, including those who have emotional, physical, behavioural, or developmental special needs, in an inclusive summer camp program.
- Is able to find a healthy balance between following directions and taking initiative to see what needs to be done and do it.
- Is able to find a healthy balance between working hard to accomplish what needs to be done, achieve personal goals, motivate others to have fun while having fun yourself, and contribute to meeting the mission of Hidden Acres.
- Demonstrates flexibility, an ability to change tasks or directions with ease, and is willing to assist cooperatively in a variety of tasks and programs as time allows.
- Displays patience, a commitment to working well with others, and the ability to solve sometimes complex problems. This is all done while maintaining a positive attitude towards others and assigned tasks.
- Model excellent leadership behaviours and participate in all aspects of camp life.
- First Aid, CPR and/or lifeguarding qualifications (NL certification or higher) are an asset, but not required.
- Is able to participate in our two Staff Orientation events: a weekend in May (May 5th-6th) and a week at the end of June (June 25th-30th).
Requirements for the Assistant Program Director
- Has a strong and active commitment to one’s personal faith journey, and is known for displaying a strong character while living out Christian, biblical principles.
- Is able to creatively and enthusiastically organize and effectively lead small and large-group activities for campers and staff, exercising strong communication skills
- Has an understanding of group dynamics, how to manage conflict and the ability to work with campers and staff to come up with solutions that help to create a healthy community.
- Has an understanding and knowledge of all areas of camp programming and operation.
- Is willing to be approachable and accessible to the summer staff as a resource and support.
- Has the ability to act as an encourager, supporter and motivator and is comfortable engaging in and initiating conversations about faith and spirituality.
- Be a part of the leadership of the summer camp staff team.
- Provide support to our one-day and overnight outdoor education programs.
- Organize and maintain summer camp resources (books, reports, etc.) and make them available to staff as needed. Also, be a resource to staff if, and when needed.
- Assist the Summer Program Coordinator with organizing and leading activities as well as facilitating meal times.
- In coordination with the Summer Program Coordinator, schedule daily time off for staff.
- Assist the Program Director in coordinating and organizing camper evaluation forms.
- Assist the Program Director with organizing and providing staff performance evaluations (schedule evaluations, organize distribution and collection of forms, give evaluations, etc.)
- Assist the Program Director with evening rounds.
- In consultation with the Program Director, positively support staff morale and find ways to encourage staff (ex. Angels & Mortals, Kudos, special nights off, prayer/worship nights, etc.).
- Support Cabin/Group Leaders by ensuring good group dynamics and safe spaces are created within the cabins and groups.
- Participate in regular (daily, weekly, etc.) meetings with the leadership of the summer camp staff team.
- Assist the Program Director and Summer Program Coordinator with planning and running the staff training and orientation.
- Provide leadership in supporting the spiritual development of the staff team in cooperation with the Program Director.
- Be available to help and support in other areas of the camp program as a member of the staff team as needed.
- Submit a written report, due within two weeks of camping ending that includes a description of your program area of responsibility, an evaluation of the programs, a final inventory of supplies (if applicable), and recommendations for the next year.
- The Assistant Program Director is responsible to the Program Director.
Note: A completed Hidden Acres Staff application and a current police record check for the vulnerable sector are required before starting any Hidden Acres’ staff position.
The mission of Hidden Acres Mennonite Camp and Retreat Centre is to provide a welcoming, peaceful gathering place where diverse groups of people experience life-giving connections with God, one another, and nature. We strive to live out our mission statement in our hiring practices, welcoming and encouraging applications from diverse groups. Accommodations are available on request for candidates. Please let us know how we can help you in the application and hiring process.
Go to https://hiddenacres.ca/opportunities/summer-camp-staff to apply.