|Location||Calgary, Alberta, Canada|
|Date Posted||January 11, 2022|
Title: Camp Hope Programs Manager
Reports to: Hope Mission Camps Manager
Based at: Camp Hope
Hours of work: 40 hours/week in the off season. During camp season (May-August) the days run long and the Programs Manager is on call most of the time.
Hope Mission is a non-denominational Christian inner-city rescue mission based in Edmonton, Alberta. Hope Mission also has branches in Calgary, Red Deer, and Wetaskiwin.
Hope Mission Summer Camps offer an affordable high energy Christian summer camp experience for children and youth (ages 6-17) from single parent households, foster and group homes, and low income families. We maintain an intentionally low staff to camper ratio to provide campers the opportunity to thrive during their week at camp. Hope Mission has two summer camp properties: Brightwood Ranch (1 hour West of Edmonton) and Camp Hope (20 minutes west of Calgary).
Camp Hope is a 100 acre property that Hope Mission is leasing 20 minutes west of Calgary (near Bragg Creek). Camp Hope provides a rustic experience where campers can experience God through nature. Facilities include a chapel, dining hall, hiking trails, amphitheatre, archery, and a sports field. During the summer campers and tipi leaders stay in tipis.
Hope Mission exists to serve, strengthen and uplift men, women, youth and children with the life changing Gospel of Jesus Christ.
This vision can be fulfilled only if all staff are diligent in serving, strengthening and uplifting people in the name of Jesus Christ.
The Programs Manager will provide leadership to the ministry and mission of Camp Hope in alignment with the Vision, Mission, Core Values, and Statement of Faith of Hope Mission. Leadership roles are positions of trust; therefore, this position can be terminated at any time if the Executive Director of Hope Mission or the Board of Directors decide to make any changes.
The Programs Manager provides leadership and support to a team of approximately 25 summer staff (2 and 4 month positions) and works closely with the Camp Hope Maintenance worker and the Summer Camps Manager.
The Programs Manager works alongside many supporting departments within Hope Mission to ensure the logistics of camp are coordinated and implemented. This includes human resources, finance, facilities & maintenance, community engagement, and the preventative programs team.
During off season your role will include staff recruitment (travel involved), program development, supporting volunteer groups, and hosting user groups, and serving in Calgary with the ministry team at the Hub in Calgary.
- Leadership: Able to provide spiritual direction & care to the Camp Hope summer ministry team
- Passion for & Commitment to working with children who face a variety of obstacles and challenges in their lives
- Communication: Able to communicate and coordinate internally with other departments within Hope Mission as well as externally as a spokesperson for Camp Hope.
- Strategic Planning & Visioning: Excitement for building on the Hope Mission Summer Camps programming foundation, maintaining an emphasis on supportive relationships, personal growth, experiences in nature, and youth leadership development.
- Multi-Tasking: Able to juggle competing needs and prioritize completion of tasks and projects
- Crisis Response: Able to use conflict resolution & de-escalation techniques to manage crisis & conflict situations
- Networking: Able to liaise with partner schools, parents, donors, volunteer groups, local agencies, and community members
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for recruiting, hiring, and training camp staff and volunteers in collaboration with the Summer Camps Manager and HR department
- Provide ongoing support for staff and volunteers through training, debriefing, prayer, Bible studies, staff meetings, performance appraisals, evaluation and feedback
- Fosters a compassionate, strength based, and Christ-centered environment for the staff, campers, and families we serve
- Responsible for ongoing program development (with a strong emphasis on nature and wilderness activities), implementation, and evaluation
- Maintains a current and accurate knowledge of support resources and agencies available to children, youth, and families
- Maintains accurate documentation, reporting, and filing of critical incidents involving campers
- Develops a yearly program calendar in collaboration with the Summer Camps Manager
- Maintains and implements Hope Mission policies and procedures to ensure safety of campers and staff
- Collaborates with Hope Mission’s Facilities and Maintenance team to ensure the upkeep of Camp Hope facilities and property maintaining a safe and clean working environment
- Coordinates program supply orders in collaboration with the Calgary Manager and the purchasing team
- Coordinates camp menu requests with the Calgary Manager.
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships with schools, community partners, donors, volunteers, and other support networks
- Ensures accurate statistics and reports are gathered for programs, events, and grants as needed
- Completes monthly reports for the Summer Camps Manager and Board of Directors
- Ongoing communication with the Summer Camps Manager (weekly reports, phone calls, emails, meetings, etc)
Minimum Qualifications & Skills:
- Spiritual maturity and a growing relationship with Christ
- Camp Ministry and Leadership Experience (3-5 years)
- Experience working with underprivileged children and families
- Wilderness Outdoor Recreation Experience
- Management Experience
- Self-Starter, Team Player, Flexible: Able to manage competing priorities and multiple activities, events, and situations. Works well under pressure.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent Organizational skills
- Education: Completion of post-secondary degree. Degree in Ministry an asset. Relevant experience will be considered.
- Physical Fitness: Able to run, hike, and lift
- A letter of reference from a ministry or church
- Being a Christian Organization we require our employees to be in agreement and sign the Hope Mission Statement of Faith.
- Flexibility to work irregular and extended hours as required
- Ability to travel to represent and promote Hope Mission Summer Camps
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada on a full-time basis.
- Able to provide Criminal Record Check with a Vulnerable Sector Search and a Child Intervention Record Check
- As we work with Calgary Public Schools, we require new hires to be fully vaccinated.
- Adherence to Hope Mission’s Policies and Procedures
- Experience with climbing walls, ziplines, and rope courses not required but an asset
- Cover Letter stating why you want to work in a Christian ministry.
To: People & Culture, Hope Mission
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.