|Location||New Hamburg, Canada|
|Date Posted||January 10, 2023|
Duration: May to August 31
The Camp Pastor role provides leadership to the discovery and development of faith for the campers by creating relevant, age appropriate content for programs that encourages curiosity, faith exploration and community based on biblical Christian values.
Requirements for all Staff
- Motivated to make a difference and have a positive impact on our society and community.
- Has a genuine love for, and interest in, working with children, including those who have emotional, physical, behavioural, or developmental special needs, in an inclusive summer camp program.
- Is able to find a healthy balance between following directions and taking initiative to see what needs to be done and do it.
- Is able to find a healthy balance between working hard to accomplish what needs to be done, achieve personal goals, motivate others to have fun while having fun yourself, and contribute to meeting the mission of Hidden Acres.
- Demonstrates flexibility, an ability to change tasks or directions with ease, and is willing to assist cooperatively in a variety of tasks and programs as time allows.
- Displays patience, a commitment to working well with others, and the ability to solve sometimes complex problems. This is all done while maintaining a positive attitude towards others and assigned tasks.
- Model excellent leadership behaviours and participate in all aspects of camp life.
- First Aid, CPR and/or lifeguarding qualifications (NL certification or higher) are an asset, but not required.
- Is able to participate in our two Staff Orientation events: a weekend in May (May 5th-6th) and a week at the end of June (June 25th-30th).
Requirements for the Camp Pastor
- Is able to creatively and enthusiastically organize and effectively lead small and large-group activities for campers and staff.
- Is able to take full responsibility for the overall planning and implementing of the spiritual input at camp and act as a pastoral resource for primarily campers.
- Has a strong and active commitment to one’s personal faith journey, and is known for displaying strong character and living out Christian, biblical principles.
Responsibilities for Camp Pastor:
- Prior to school groups and camp starting, review reports from past Camp Pastor/Spiritual Life Coordinators and plan programs using the provided curriculum and themes for each age group. This may include ordering relevant materials and supplies.
- During the summer implement the aspects of the program for campers that focus of exploring and developing faith including:
- Morning Watch - 15 minute, all camp gathering consisting of some songs and a thought for the day.
- Focus - 60 minute, all camp gathering consisting of singing and a presentation of the main topic/theme for the day communicated through a variety of interactive activities.
- Evening Campfire - Close the campfire with input (story, skit, talk etc.) and help choose the final song, which corresponds to the theme.
- Be a resource to staff and campers regarding personal faith questions/ issues.
- Help plan the spiritual input for staff orientation events, including devotions, campfires, and orienting staff to the summer’s spiritual programs along with the APD
- Work with other staff to plan and coordinate songs that tie in well with weekly themes.
- Be available to help in other areas of the camp program as a member of the staff team as needed.
- Submit a written report, due within two weeks of camp ending that includes a description of your program area of responsibility, an evaluation of the programs, a final inventory of supplies (if applicable), and recommendations for the next year in cooperation with the SLC.
- The Camp Pastor is responsible to the Program Director.
A completed Hidden Acres Staff application and a current police record check for the vulnerable sector are required before starting any Hidden Acres’ staff position.
The mission of Hidden Acres Mennonite Camp and Retreat Centre is to provide a welcoming, peaceful gathering place where diverse groups of people experience life-giving connections with God, one another, and nature. We strive to live out our mission statement in our hiring practices, welcoming and encouraging applications from diverse groups. Accommodations are available on request for candidates. Please let us know how we can help you in the application and hiring process.
To apply, go to: https://hiddenacres.ca/opportunities/summer-camp-staff.