|Location||Saint John, Canada|
|Date Posted||May 14, 2023|
Cornerstone Baptist Church is a smaller, multigenerational and welcoming church in the inner city of Saint John. Membership encompasses growing families, students, and adults through all stages of life. This church community has a passion for serving and loving one another, the local neighbourhood, and supporting missions to show the love of Jesus to all. We offer children’s ministry, small group ministry, a developing youth ministry and participate in various outreach programs to support local community groups and ministries. The current staff includes the senior pastor and other roles within the church in terms of ministry leadership are all volunteer based.
Our community is in the heart of the Waterloo Village, a neighbourhood in downtown Saint John. Our church is in a building shared with Outflow ministries (outflowsj.com). We have been working to build relationships with community schools and neighbours including possible involvement with street outreach teams. In our neighbourhood, we meet people from different cultures and all walks of life, and we are striving to meet people where they are at and love them for who they are, like Jesus.
On a typical Sunday morning, about 70 people attend services in person while others join online or on the phone lines. The focus of our Sunday morning worship service is to soften our hearts and minds towards the gospel by worshipping through singing, giving and receiving God's Word. There is no dress code, no requirements, no hoops you need to jump through. You can expect to see little children running around (and a bit of joyful noise and chaos), folks socializing over coffee and snacks and a friendly atmosphere. It is truly a place where we can prepare for the mission God has called us to and enjoy the community God is building.
We are seeking an individual called to ministry in the role of co-pastor. This ministry will involve sharing the pastoral ministry including sharing the Word on Sundays, developing connections with the neighbourhood, identifying and executing opportunities for outreach, discipling members and providing direction to the worship ministry. These roles and responsibilities are flexible and will be negotiated between the involved pastors and church leadership to accommodate God-given strengths and areas for growth. This role is funded for one year with opportunity for continued employment at God’s provision.
Our church loves to support and welcome all. We are praying for you and are looking forward welcoming you into our church family and supporting you and those you care for in your transition and walk with Christ.
- A growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- A calling to ministry to reach all ages and stages with the Gospel.
- Gospel focused, gentle and respectful approach to all interactions.
- Demonstrates steady leadership ability and interpersonal skills.
- A team player who demonstrates humility in integrating others and playing to others’ strengths.
- Experience or interest in working with and reaching out to the inner-city community.
- Experience in ministry and a passion for developing skills in discipleship or teaching.
- College or university degrees are valued, but not required if interest or aptitude is demonstrated otherwise.
- Musical ability an asset, but not required.
The responsibilities of this role for the person called to this role include:
- Directing outreach ministry by involving the appropriate committees, engaging community members and organizations, planning or identifying partners for events in order to reach our community with the Gospel.
- Discipling new and existing members and community members to deepen their relationships with Christ.
- Overseeing the worship ministry and discipling the existing team ministering in this way and recruiting those who might be called to this ministry.
- If able, assisting on a rotation to lead worship on Sundays.
- Share in Sunday teaching responsibilities at an agreed upon frequency (flexible).
- Pastoral visitation with the sick and shut ins.
- Other duties as called upon.
Hours: This is a full-time position and with ministry, hours will vary from week to week. We respect family life and personal time, and schedules can be adjusted to accommodate your needs. There will be an expectation to be present for Sunday services and other events or meetings as required. We will provide you with time off on a weekly and annual basis to ensure adequate rest and recovery.
Salary: Pay scale based on experience level, including medical and option for pension.
Term: God has provided us with funds for one year of salary and with His grace and blessing this may continue.
How to apply:
Please enclose the following with the application and direct it to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Letter of interest
- References (3-ministry related, friend, and a person of your choice)
- Links to sermons or details on prior ministries (e.g., websites)