|Location||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Date Posted||January 13, 2023|
Yonge Street Mission (YSM) is a vibrant, non-profit Christian organization leading a collective movement to end chronic poverty in Toronto. Since 1896, we’ve worked to transform the lives of people living with poverty, going beyond immediate needs by offering wrap-around support via holistic programs and services, and a pathway which enables street-involved youth, families in need, adults experiencing poverty and vulnerable communities to move from surviving to thriving.
To make this happen, we are passionate about investing in the people we work with, and look for a diverse range of staff who are key for us to advance our mission: Christians who have a heart for neighbours in need, a desire to transform the lives of our community members, and who believe in treating everyone with dignity and respect.
If you are inspired by our vision and feel a true call to contribute to YSM’s work, we’d love to hear from you.
What We Offer:
As a staff member at YSM, some of the things you can look forward to include a values-based and highly collaborative and engaging work environment with a high value on staff’s mental health and well-being; meaningful, innovative and impactful work, with opportunities to make a difference in the lives of children, families, and the community, as well as flexible hybrid work arrangements. Our competitive Total Rewards compensation package also includes Group RRSP matching, annual leave and paid personal days, comprehensive health and dental care coverage, an Employee and Family Assistance Program that includes counselling services by Christian professionals, and numerous other perks.
We are seeking a Community Development Specialist (CDS) focused on social transformation in the communities where YSM works. The successful candidate will work with external stakeholders including partners from the City of Toronto and local agencies across the City on the creation of a Community Development Plan (CDP) Framework. The CDS will work along YSM’s Community Development Team to leverage YSM’s tools and knowledge to inform the creation of the CDP Framework. They will conduct and oversee research, facilitate conversations for strategic partnerships and collaboration with and between stakeholders, synthesize information, lead the development of tools and frameworks, and create and present reports. This position will work within the structure of YSM’s Community Development Team.
- Dedicated to overseeing the creation of a Community Development Plan (CDP) Framework for the City of Toronto, working in partnership with internal and external stakeholders including the City of Toronto project team
- Conduct and analyze research – review and synthesize written materials, facilitate 1:1 and group subject matter expert interviews, analyze and synthesize information
- Identify and gather input from project partners and stakeholders
- Lead the development of a CDP framework that includes implementation, inter-project learning and evaluation/monitoring, working in partnership with internal and external project team from the City of Toronto
- Integrate City policies and priorities, especially those related to equity and reconciliation
- Identify costs of CDP implementation
- Identify relationship to City secondary plans and urban planning
- Create monitoring and evaluation framework of the CDP
- Identify capacity building opportunities for various internal and external stakeholders involved in the CDP
- Convene and facilitate conversations with external stakeholders including project team, and local stakeholders from various communities across the City to contribute to the project
- Initiate and cultivate strong relationships with an atmosphere for active collaboration and synergy among key supporters, partners, and other community stakeholders
- Recruit, train, and supervise volunteers, and other administrative reporting as necessary
- Post-secondary education combined with 5 years’ experience or equivalent academic training in Asset Based Community/International Development, Partnership Brokering, Social Work, or Urban Studies
- Self-starter with strong facilitation, community engagement, cross-cultural competence, and neighbourhood organizing skills, as well as an ability to work with a high degree of independence
- Experience conducting, analyzing, and synthesizing research in written reports
- Experience in project management and developing frameworks is a strong asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a strong ability to build partnerships, and strategically guide conversations
- Ability to and experience working with complex materials translating them into community-friendly formats for the purpose of capacity building
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated ability to synthesize complex information for a variety of audiences
- Ability to support groups towards shared goals and outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to apply an advanced knowledge related to the social, emotional and health-related barriers affecting vulnerable populations
- Strong understanding of the factors and challenges contributing to poverty in Toronto
- A police check will be required. First Aid training is an asset
- Demonstrated commitment to YSM’s principles of faith, mission and values
Deadline for Application: January 29, 2023
Start Date: February 21, 2023
Link to Application: https://ysm.bamboohr.com/careers/174
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Learn more about YSM at www.ysm.ca
Date Posted: January 13, 2023