|Date Posted||May 1, 2021|
Position: Community Social Development Officer
Position Status & Hours/Week: 23 weeks; 15 Hours / Week, starting June 7 (approx.)
The purpose of Compass Point Bible Church (CBPC) is to help align lives to the way of Jesus. We choose to do this by Encountering God Together, Embracing a Rule of Life, and Embodying Jesus Everywhere.
Part of “Embodying Jesus Everywhere” is having a practical, intentional and significant impact on our local community – an impact that both show and shares the love of God beyond our walls. The role outlined below will help advance this part of our mission.
The Community Social Development Officer will work closely with the Associate Pastor of Connections to dream, research, investigate, and plan for our next significant social initiative in our local community. This is will involve understanding the unique needs of our local community, identifying opportunities to meet these needs, and, more specifically, determining how our excess land can be used towards these ends.
For the applicant, this is an opportunity to gain practical ministry experience in the earliest stages of an initiative to help transform a community. The applicant will work in a team environment, receive professional guidance and support, and gain valuable experience.
The Community Social Development Officer will assist Compass Point staff and volunteers to start the process of developing/dispositioning a parcel of land for the benefit of our larger community. This will involve:
- Researching and reporting on the most significant needs in our community, the way other churches have leveraged their land to address community needs, and possible charities/non-profits/orgs with which to partner.
- Working with the City (re; zoning and land use), the Region (re: regional housing initiatives), and other stakeholders in order to understand options, obstacles, and processes for developing or selling the land.
- Proposing options for the community need that should/could be addressed, and how this land might be developed in order to do so.
- Planning, and executing the earliest steps in project planning, including helping to inform, inspire, and recruit volunteers and staff onto a team to keep moving the plan forward.
- Making presentations and/or scheduling and running meetings.
Skills & Competencies
- Able to plan, organize and manage details
- Self-motivated - able to initiate and work on their own
- Able to research - finding, organizing, analyzing, and presenting information
- Proficient in written and oral communication
- Strong interpersonal skills
Character & Qualifications
- Committed follower of Jesus Christ, as demonstrated by an authentic lifestyle, consistent character, and spiritual growth
- Ability to verbally articulate a personal faith and a Christian world view
- In full agreement with CPBC’s Mission, Vision, Values and Beliefs
- Demonstrated flexibility, humility and a desire to develop and learn
Education & Experience
- Must be enrolled in a college or university program
- Must have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year.
- Preference will be given to those enrolled in a program, or planning for a future, in Christian ministry, social services, planning/development, or other related fields.
- The ideal candidate has had previous experience serving (paid or unpaid) with churches, non-profits, and/or community initiatives.
Wages & Timeline
- Wage: $16.25/hr
- Timeline: Target start date: Mon, June 7, 2021
- For 13 weeks of summer (pre-Labour day):
- This is a 15 hr/wk role, requiring the ability to meet onsite in Burlington periodically.
- For 10 weeks into Fall (post Labour Day):
- While budget provides only for 10 wks pay at 15/wk, the exact number of weeks, hrs/wk, and onsite requirements are negotiable, recognizing that a student’s availability and proximity may change in the Fall.
- For 13 weeks of summer (pre-Labour day):
- Interested candidates should forward their resume to email@example.com and indicate the position title in the subject of the email.
- Applications must be received by Mon, May 17, 2021.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Please be advised that only those selected to proceed in the selection process will be contacted.