|Location||410 - 713 Columbia Street, New Westminster, Canada|
|Date Posted||September 20, 2022|
Director of Development – HOPE International Development Agency
This executive search is conducted by Nelson/Kraft & Associates on behalf of HOPE International Development Agency
HOPE International Development Agency is searching for a compassionate and dedicated fundraising professional to join their team as Director of Development.
As the Director of Development you will grow the capacity of HOPE to reach people facing extreme poverty. Directly, and with a team you build, you will secure funding from multiple sources, maintain and grow support from the general public, and secure new funding streams for HOPE’s overseas development programs in Africa, Asia, and the Americas. With vision and tenacity, you and your team will establish strategy and plans that leverage major gifts, annual gifts, special events, and new opportunities to grow the organization. Through your work, you will strengthen HOPE’s individual, foundation, private, and corporate supporters by designing and implementing programs to identify, solicit, and cultivate potential donors.
If you are an accomplished fundraiser, motivated by bringing greater equality to those marginalized and a deep care for people, we would love to hear from you!
Founded in 1975 in response to a famine ravaging Ethiopia, a group of committed families - deeply compassionate and dedicated - gathered around a kitchen table to take action. With love and Christ’s tangible compassion, they faced extreme need head on. They had one goal: help people. Today, that singular focus remains our firm foundation.
HOPE projects focus on sustainable development and demonstrate real community impact as we work in the hardest to reach locations around the world.
CLEAN WATER & HEALTH - 504,086 people benefiting through 26 initiatives in 346 communities in Cambodia, Dominican Republic, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, India, Myanmar, Pakistan, the Philippines, South Sudan, and Sri Lanka.
FOOD SECURITY & NUTRITION - 83,736 people benefiting through 28 initiatives in 149 communities in Cambodia, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Guatemala, Haiti, India, Myanmar, Pakistan, the Philippines, and Sri Lanka.
LIVELIHOOD & LEARNING - 5,369 people benefiting through 40 initiatives in 112 communities in Cambodia, Dominican Republic, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Guatemala, Haiti, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, the Philippines, Rwanda, South Sudan, and Sri Lanka.
OUR GOAL - DOUBLE OUR IMPACT BY 2030
BECAUSE WE ARE compelled by compassion and the inherent worth and potential of every person, HOPE International Development Agency is a collective of entrepreneurial and dedicated people who are responsive to the realities of overlooked families living in extreme poverty.
HOPE mobilizes resources and connects donors, volunteers, and teams here in Canada with opportunities to fuel lasting change around the world. Working in 16 countries – with a focus on clean water, food security, and livelihoods – together we equip and empower possibility for families through approaches that are resilient, community-led, and sustainable.
Reporting to the Executive Director and serving as part of the Senior Team, the Director of Development will be responsible to both establish and meet the income targets of the organization in alignment with the overarching goals and purposes of HOPE.
- Work closely with the Senior Team to provide leadership to the organization in all areas and specifically to development.
- Establish, equip, support, and provide leadership to the Development team – managing and leading for high performance, alignment, growth, and impact.
- Develop a yearly fundraising strategy and plan; establish success metrics; establish reporting to measure success and inform future planning and strategy.
- Foster a growth mindset that identifies and leverages opportunity while maintaining a support base.
- In coordination with other departments, ensure there is donor database integrity and foundational processes within the CRM.
- Oversee donor engagement activities and ensure donors receive appropriate reports and relevant information.
- Establish major donor proposal management and reporting processes, including required support systems.
- Participate in weekly check-ins with the Executive Director and staff team.
- Foster a vision for the department and organization focused on impact and compassion for people.
Relationship Management/Revenue Generation
- Meet or exceed annual fundraising targets directly and with the team through events, individual and business solicitations, corporate CSR, foundations, and monthly recurring donations.
- Ensure that an active portfolio of donors (major donors, foundations, corporations, and churches) grows with responsibility for the full scope of activities related to donor stewardship.
- Ensure that relationships with prospective and existing donors are cultivated, strengthened, and maintained using a donor-centered approach while adding value to donors’ lives through encouragement, challenge, and engagement.
- Ensure that funding proposals are positioned, structured, and written to maximize successful closure.
- Ensure that planned giving services and programs are offered and presented to donors.
- Present to groups such as churches, schools, service clubs, chambers of commerce, etc.
- Work with Executive Director on key donor relationships.
- You have a demonstrated commitment to the values of compassion, action, and people that embody the work of HOPE International.
- You have 5+ years' of progressive leadership experience in development with an emphasis on major gift donations within a non-profit organization and growing a department or organization, and experience in a middle to senior level management position.
- You have a successful career raising over 6-7 figures per year from a portfolio of donors and activities (comparable experience in corporate sales will be considered).
- You have held a position with experience in developing and presenting strategy, reports, and direction to leaders, the public, and the board of directors.
- You have experience closing multiple corporate sponsorships and foundation grants.
- You turn strategy into operational objectives and manage organizational change.
- You have a proven ability to manage multiple priorities, and you approach ambiguity with flexibility understanding there is now and what will be in systems and organizations.
- You are able to work and encourage others to work, cross-functionally and collaboratively, with a people-centered perspective and generous mindset.
- You have knowledge of marketing principles and practices.
- You are able to work flexible hours; some evenings and weekends. You can travel 25-30% of the time.
- You are a team player who genuinely cares for people and desires to deliver on our objective to double our impact by 2030.
- You are able to lead from a place of faith that is inclusive and gracious towards people from all paths.
- A CFRE is preferred, but not required. A university degree in a related field is preferred, but not required.
Location: New Westminster, BC (hybrid)
Application Deadline: October 20, 2022
Hire Date: November 2022
TO APPLY please send a PDF copy of your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To obtain a complete Opportunity Profile, please visit our website.
Nelson/Kraft & Associates Inc. is an executive consulting firm that specializes in working with not-for-profits and for-profit businesses across Canada, assisting them in the placement of senior executives and directors.
Nelson/Kraft & Associates Inc. welcomes and encourages all interested applicants to apply for this position. Nelson/Kraft & Associates Inc. is committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion in its hiring practices, and will only make distinctions among interested applicants in accordance with the applicable Human Rights legislation.
Nelson/Kraft & Associates Inc. also welcomes and encourages applications from candidates with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in the selection process. If you require disability-related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact us.