|Date Posted||January 19, 2023|
Yonge Street Mission (YSM) is a vibrant, non-profit Christian organization leading a collective movement to end chronic poverty in Toronto. Since 1896, we’ve worked to transform the lives of people living with poverty, going beyond immediate needs by offering wrap-around support via holistic programs and services, and a pathway which enables street-involved youth, families in need, adults experiencing poverty and vulnerable communities to move from surviving to thriving.
To make this happen, we are passionate about investing in the people we work with, and look for a diverse range of staff who are key for us to advance our mission: Christians who have a heart for neighbours in need, a desire to transform the lives of our community members, and who believe in treating everyone with dignity and respect.
If you are inspired by our vision and feel a true call to contribute to YSM’s work, we’d love to hear from you.
What We Offer:
As a staff member at YSM, some of the things you can look forward to include a values-based and highly collaborative and engaging work environment with a high value on staff’s mental health and well-being; meaningful, innovative and impactful work, with opportunities to make a difference in the lives of children, families, and the community, as well as flexible hybrid work arrangements. Our competitive Total Rewards compensation package also includes Group RRSP matching, annual leave and paid personal days, comprehensive health and dental care coverage, an Employee and Family Assistance Program that includes counselling services by Christian professionals, and numerous other perks.
We are seeking an Employment Counsellor who is passionate and called to support our participants to guide them towards positive transformation. This position supports the Youth Job Connection (YJC) program that serves youth (18-29) who experience multiple and/or complex barriers to employment by providing more intensive support beyond traditional job search and placement opportunities. The Employment Counsellor will be responsible for program delivery under Employment Ontario guidelines and reports to the YJC Program Coordinator.
- Collaborate with YSM Workforce Development staff and other departments for referrals, screening and assessment of participant suitability
- Provide wrap-around care management support in collaboration with YSM staff to participants and maintaining customized training support plans
- Provide individual job coaching/counselling/mentoring to support participants in conflict resolution, personal/professional development
- Research and incorporate current trends, labour market information and best practices in job retention and career development into daily work
- Develop and deliver skill-based learning content for pre-employment training workshops to support participants in capacity building and job retention
- Liaise with employer engagement team to ensure participants receive ongoing employment and career development support
- Document participant activity in YSM database and paper files in accordance with YSM and funder requirements
- Expense annual targeted expenditures for participant supports in consultation with YJC Program Coordinator
- Related post-secondary education in social work/community service work/adult education or equivalent experience
- Experience with group facilitation, counselling, case management activities
- Understanding of cross cultural, anti-oppressive, and trauma informed practices
- Comfort working in an unpredictable drop-in environment with participants experiencing various forms of trauma; able to quickly and sensitively respond to high-stress situations
- High level of self-awareness; strong coping skills and supportive community (including faith community) needed to avoid emotional strain and potential burnout
- Strong conflict resolution skills in managing group dynamics
- Exceptional communication skills (oral and written); excellent interpersonal, presentation and coaching skills
- Good time management, information tracking, and prioritization skills
- Initiative to exercise sharp critical thinking skills and sound judgment to problem solve independently
- Flexible to work outside of standard hours when necessary
- Knowledge of current employment-related legislation (e.g. ESA, OHRC)
- CPI, Mental Health, First Aid Training is an asset; A vulnerable sector police check will be required
The successful applicant will express a clear commitment to YSM principles of faith, mission, and values. This is a full-time (37.5 hrs/week) position.
Deadline for Application: February 3, 2023
Start Date: ASAP
Link to Application: https://ysm.bamboohr.com/careers/176
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Learn more about YSM at www.ysm.ca
Date Posted: January 19, 2023