|January 8, 2024
The International Racial Equity Director will work full time on racism or other forms of oppression (colonialism, colorism, other forms of inequity based on appearance or status) and equity work in MCC international program settings toward the goal to facilitate the full participation of our diverse staff in every aspect of our mission, programs, policies and practices. This is a deeply spiritual role recognizing that there are forces that are not easy to see or confront. This role will inspire, mobilize and coordinate practical and professional equipping to remove barriers and move MCC forward to more fully reflect God's desire for God's people.
This is a full-time, Service Worker position with a set term length. Service Workers are MCC personnel who are financially supported through a monthly stipend, coverage of living expense and a comprehensive benefits package.
All MCC workers are expected to exhibit a commitment to: a personal Christian faith and discipleship; active participation in a Christian church or Christian community; and nonviolent peacemaking. MCC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to employment equity. MCC values diversity and invites all qualified candidates to apply
Essential Qualifications: Equivalent experience accepted in lieu of degree if applicable.
- Education -Undergraduate degree –International Development or another related field
- 3-5 years’ experience in organizational development with emphasis on anti-oppression work, e.g., with race or gender equity
- Proficient in at least two languages (English required;)
- 3-5 years’ lived experience dismantling oppression in a multi-cultural environment; demonstrated capacity in building and navigating intercultural relationships
- Capacity for biblical and theological reflection from an Anabaptist perspective
- Demonstrated capability in spiritual leadership
- Demonstrated ability to coach in areas of racial equity
- Demonstrated ability to build capacity, collaborate, connect and network creatively
- Strong communication skills: written, spoken, and listening, language skills in addition to English would bring additional strength
- Strong organizational skills; especially strategic and prioritization skills
- Peacemaking/conflict resolution experience
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate group dialogue or facilitate participatory training
- Education related to equity work, i.e., certification, degree or additional specific experience.
Invitations to serve with MCC are contingent on the successful outcome of criminal background check(s).
Requires relationship-building skills and ability to work across MCC International Program and with a variety of team environments including Racial Equity (RE) standing committee and US and Canada RE Directors. Will lead, collaborate and equip International Program staff.
- Advanced communications skills will be needed to navigate internal contacts that include MCC staff around the world. A key responsibility includes building relationships necessary for coordinating and mobilizing practical and professional equipping to move MCC forward in systemic racial equity work.
- No direct supervision is part of this role.
- The complexity is within our deeper understanding that God’s vision for the people of God is for us to be in right relationship with God and with each other. Work involves leadership, tasks and coordination across regional, national, international, cultural, and theological boundaries. This position requires a grounded and thorough understanding of the systemic issues that drive racism and the misuse of power to maintain and reward privilege and perpetuate internalized oppression. Work involves a high degree of spiritual vision, resourcefulness, creativity, and relationships.
In addition, the organizational complexity of MCC as a worldwide organization includes regional and provincial offices in Canada and the U.S. and international program offices. This position works mostly through influence and work with others.
- Work requires strong organizational and networking skills and initiative (i.e., "self-starter") to take the lead on coordinating MCC's racial equity work and the development of related programs or initiatives in our international settings. The position requires a person who works well as a team member and understands anti-oppression work as a long-term journey and a shared work for justice. The person in this role will have the flexibility to determine the most effective methods, approaches and priorities necessary to meet objectives.
Initiative and Ingenuity:
Work requires the ability to set goals, be innovative in planning and bringing ideas forward, organize, implement, make decisions about direction, and follow through without direct supervision. The work is reviewed primarily for adequacy in meeting objectives.
- Advanced communication skills are required to communicate frequently internally including chairing staff working groups, standing committees, and preparing/giving presentations (training, reporting) to staff and externally, with partners.
Effective communication skills in writing, listening and public speaking across diverse cultures. Mental/Physical/Visual Demand:
- This can be a high-stress position because of the complexity of issues, and breadth of relationships that need to be maintained within and beyond MCC.
- This role will build capacity of all international program staff to be cognizant of how inequity emerges, to look for where racism is likely to exist, emerge or is emerging within the organization. Staff will experience the joy of becoming God's community in a fuller way. This role will collaborate in leading MCC in developing as an organization that dismantles systemic oppression and building our capacity to utilize change management practices throughout our work.
20 % Research and development (will be higher at start of role)
40 % Communication and Training
30 % Coordination across International program
10 % Administration
1. Build organizational capacity for racial equity priorities and reduce barriers to change
2. Build organizational knowledge of the ways racism is manifested, experienced and understood in the areas MCC works.
3. Create and initiate a plan to implement equity strategies into international program; and to intentionally deepen engagements with international program staff of color.
4. Work closely in collaboration with U.S. and Canadian counterparts – providing three-part leadership to Racial Equity Standing Committee – to ensure system-wide racial equity strategy and training are coherent, consistent, and accountable
5. Work with U.S. and Canadian counterparts and National Executive Directors to communicate clearly, internally, about MCC’s vision and plan for racial equity, including research and development of shared language of what inequity looks like in different contexts.
6. Lead the International Program Dismantling Oppression Team (IPDOT) and resource other DOTs.
7. Support and advise other departments and processes where equity is a significant factor.
8. Serve on Case Management Teams and consult with Safeguarding colleagues around reports of racial harassment.
9. Ensure that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is exemplified in the performance of all job responsibilities and through personal example.
10. Participate in regular staff meetings, spending time in devotions and prayer with all in attendance in local MCC setting.
11. Model nonviolent peacemaking through daily interactions with staff and the public.
12. Participate in a local church and gatherings, being willing to use his or her gifts within the local faith community.
13. Other duties as assigned:
01 Apr, 2024 - Preferred Start date
3 - 5 years
This position is available as a Service Worker or National Staff on a hybrid structure and is situated in a country or regional office, with priority given to the following countries: Kenya, Ethiopia, Uganda, DR Congo, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Rwanda, Burundi, India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Cambodia, South Korea, Guatemala and Colombia.
To apply for the International Program Racial Equity Director position, visit our official careers page at https://mccglobal.my.site.com/MCCJobs/s/vacancy-details?vacancyId=a2SIV0000004KjJ*](https://mccglobal.my.site.com/MCCJobs/s/vacancy-details?vacancyId=a2SIV0000004KjJ)