|Location||1400 Dundas Crescent, Mississauga, Canada|
|Date Posted||March 31, 2022|
Position Title: Lead Pastor
Reports To: Delegates from the Council of Elders
Job Position: To work with the elders to establish the vision, direction, and overall strategy of Erindale Bible Chapel. To serve in such a manner that the mission of EBC is advanced to the Glory of God.
A. PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Teaching – in conjunction with the elders:
- Develop a strategy for solid Biblical teaching at Erindale Bible Chapel.
- Teach/preach no less than 75% of the Sunday services (40 per year). Except on your scheduled vacation dates, the remaining Sundays in which you are not preaching should be used for activities related to the functioning of Erindale Bible Chapel and its ministries, or other outside activities as agreed with the Elders.
- Superintend others who have primary teaching ministries.
- Oversee the development and planning of weekly worship services in conjunction with other relevant ministry leaders.
- Develop a preaching plan for the pulpit ministry.
- Leading – serve as a “first-among-equals” in the council of elders, establishing, communicating, and promoting the vision and mission of the church toward the fulfillment of the Great Commission and Great Commandments. The Lead Pastor also provides leadership to ministry leaders throughout the church, giving direction on behalf of the elders and serving as a resource and support where needed.
- Discipleship and Mentoring – with the objective of developing disciples of Jesus Christ. This includes but is not limited to:
- Teaching or leading classes and/or individual studies with clear objectives.
- Equipping and encouraging the ministry leaders of the church in their respective ministries.
- Serving as the direct report for church staff.
- Pastoral Care – Pastoral care duties, shared with the elders, include responsibilities such as:
- Counseling as needed and as time permits.
- Visiting those who are in hospital and/or shut in.
- Performing functions such as weddings, funerals, baptisms, and child dedications.
- Administration – This will include:
- Day-to-day direction of staff members.
- Other as assigned.
2. QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- A man whose doctrine, conduct and life are above reproach, exemplary, and consistent with the biblical qualifications for a elder/pastor (1 Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9).
- Committed to the authority of the Bible as the Word of God and its central role in the discipleship of believers.
- Exemplary family relationships. (1 Timothy 3:2, 4; Titus 1:6).
- Strong gifting and ability in the area of preaching and teaching (1 Timothy 3:2; 2 Timothy 4:2).
- Must have a clear commitment to the local church and a track record of being a faithful shepherd to others. (1 Peter 5:1-4).
- Must possess the appropriate training, education, skills, and experience to assume a senior pastoral leadership role in the local church. Candidates who have achieved a master’s level of theological training are preferred (M.Div. or equivalent). Has ministry experience of between 5-10 years.
- Aligned with the goals of the Christian Church (Ephesians 4:11-16).
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and able to work in a team setting.
- Good organizational skills.
- Have strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be a self-starter, having initiative, a teachable spirit, as well as a passion for serving Christ by serving others.
- Agree with the Erindale Bible Chapel Statement of Faith and Practices and meet the qualifications of an elder as spelled out in the Statement of Faith and Practices.
- Holds to a complementarian view of church leadership.
C. REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS
In a ministry context the Lead Pastor is a member of the Council of Elders (after the 3-month waiting period, as spelled out in the Statement of Faith and Practices), but not the chairman and works collaboratively with the Elders to develop the vision, goals, and policies of the church. As a member of the Council of Elders he regularly shares his life and ministry with the elders just as they do with each other.
- Deacons & Ministry Leaders
The Lead Pastor oversees deacons and ministry leaders as assigned.
- Pastor of Family Ministries
The Pastor of Family Ministries reports to the Lead Pastor. The Pastor of Family Ministries is responsible to lead, develop and direct all aspects of the ministry to children and youth (ages 0-18), and to the parents and/or guardians at Erindale Bible Chapel (EBC). This includes the recruitment and training of personnel and the oversight of all ministries pertaining to children, youth, and their families. In addition, the Associate Pastor helps with Sunday teaching and maximizing congregational participation.
- Administrative Coordinator
The Administrative Coordinator reports directly to the Lead Pastor, taking day-to-day direction for all office administrative functions. The Administrative Coordinator will additionally provide assistance to the Elders, Deacons, Associate Pastors, Corporation Directors, and ministry leaders.
- Accounting & Stewardship Staff
The Accounting & Stewardship staff does not take direction from the Lead Pastor but reports to the Elders and Directors who appoint the Finance Committee.
The Directors of the legal entity known as ‘The Corporation of Erindale Bible Chapel’ have no direct ministry relationship with the Lead Pastor.
Note: This role description is not intended to be exhaustive. The employee may be required to perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the on-going needs of the church.
If this full-time position challenges and inspires you, please send your cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com.
Erindale Bible Chapel is an independent church founded on, and governed by, the Word of God. It has been in the community of Erindale in Mississauga, Ontario for over 60 years. We are disciples of Jesus who make disciples of Jesus, with a commitment to building up and equipping God’s people to carry out the Lord’s purposes in our community and around the world.
Erindale Bible Chapel welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.