|Location||8176 McCowan Road, Markham, Canada|
|Date Posted||April 7, 2022|
HOPE BIBLE CHURCH MARKHAM
Founded in 2006, Hope Bible Church Markham (HBCM) is a non-denominational, elder-led, locally-autonomous Christ-centered church. We have a wonderful staff team who serve with unity, commitment, and dedication. We are a vibrant, highly diverse congregation that includes young families, youth, young adults, empty nesters, and seniors who together represent the full ethnic spectrum of York Region. We have had the privilege of planting two churches in the Greater Toronto Area and are trusting God for more to come. Located at McCowan Road just north of the 407, we thank God for the building He provided for us in 2008. We are a member of the Great Commission Collective.
At Hope, we’re all about preaching the Bible with authority, worshipping earnestly, praying fervently, and witnessing boldly. We are committed to fellowship and discipleship in small groups as we each use our gifts and abilities to edify and encourage one another. As the Lord leads us forward, areas of focus will include refining our discipleship pathway and putting greater emphasis on sharing the Gospel through local compassion ministry and global missions.
We are currently searching for a godly, humble man to serve as our Lead Pastor as we look forward to coming years of serving and loving our city, region, and world with the love of Jesus. We believe that the Lord still has our very best days ahead of us.
We love where God has placed us. Located northeast of Toronto, Markham is an industrialized suburban city with agricultural roots that has grown significantly in the past few decades as a result of urban sprawl. Markham is home to over 1,500+ technology companies, including a high concentration of head offices, as well as campuses of Seneca College and York University. Markham is considered by many to be Canada’s high-tech capital and most diverse community.
All of the strengths and realities of Markham and York Region pose opportunities and challenges to HBCM as we seek to speak and live the Gospel in our city and region, to reach all of the communities and cultures we are connected to, and be a shining light in dark places.
As the successful applicant, you’ll devote yourself to furthering God’s kingdom through HBCM, using your spiritual gifts, best effort, skills, and abilities. You’ll model dependence on the Lord through fervent prayer and faithful proclamation of the Scriptures. You’ll display authentic love for Jesus and His people and embody holiness and humility, meeting all the biblical qualifications for church leadership.
You’ll work diligently to build consensus and plurality in decision-making, lead the staff and church by example, and serve as the chief encourager of those around you. You’ll diligently and determinedly pursue excellence in all things. You will report to and serve as one of the Elders, humbly leading the church together.
If these qualities have been affirmed in you by experience and by others who know you well, then please review the attached detailed job description and submit your resume with a cover letter to the Elders at firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn more about Hope Markham at hopemarkham.ca
HOPE BIBLE CHURCH MARKHAM
MISSION AND VISION:
The mission of Hope Bible Church Markham (HBCM) is:
To glorify God through the fulfillment of the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20)
in the spirit of the Great Commandment (Matthew 22:37-39).
We desire to see people mature as disciples of Jesus Christ who love Him and obey His commands - as they Worship, Walk with, and Work for Christ (our Three Ws of Discipleship). Together, we are united around Four Pillars that serve as our ministry values: Unapologetic Preaching, Unashamed Worship, Unceasing Prayer, and Unafraid Witness.
LEAD PASTOR SUMMARY:
The Lead Pastor, in plurality with the elder team, fervently seeks to discern the Lord’s unique will and vision for HBCM, to fulfill His mission and “shepherd the flock of God that is among you.” (1 Peter 5:2) They work together diligently to develop, implement, and uphold this vision under the sovereign guidance of the Lord.
The Lead Pastor is considered “first among equals” on the elder team, sharing mutual accountability. Together they provide spiritual oversight, bearing overall responsibility for the church in the areas of doctrine, direction, discipline, and discipleship.
The Lead Pastor faithfully devotes his full working time and prayerful attention to carrying out his leadership responsibilities at HBCM. He brings his best Christ-honouring efforts, ministry skills, pastoral experience and relational strengths to further God’s Kingdom. He serves the church most visibly as the primary preaching and teaching elder. He also leads the staff team, encourages spiritual growth in all believers, and strives to exemplify a mature walk with Christ.
The Lead Pastor provides pastoral care within the congregation, particularly serving the other elders, staff, lay leaders, and their families. He also serves as a key representative of the church locally and provides a public, helpful, and welcoming point of contact for new people attending the church.
Teaching & Leadership
- Serves as the primary preacher of the Word of God in weekend services throughout the year.
- Develops an annual preaching calendar for approval by the elders. This sustainable schedule will include other capable preachers from within the local body as well as trusted pastors from the Great Commission Collective (GCC) and elsewhere.
- Ensures that the church is instructed in the whole counsel of God, delivers unapologetic proclamation of God’s Word with emphasis on application, addresses life and church issues with truth in love, calls others to repentance and faith in Christ.
- Oversees the teaching of the church in all ministry areas to help ensure consistency with Scripture and our doctrinal statement.
- Develops and equips other capable teachers and preachers within the church, who can then better serve the ministries and people of the church with their gifts.
- Supports all ministries in the church through teaching and training sessions as needed.
- Oversees the development and execution of God-honouring worship services in cooperation with the Director of Worship.
- Motivates and inspires healthy teamwork and collaboration, good communication, and mutual respect both in and between various teams.
- Oversees the staff, encouraging them to achieve clearly defined personal and group objectives.
- Enables the support and development of the staff, providing them with relevant opportunities, resources, education, and
- Oversees the hiring and dismissal of pastors, directors, and other staff according to employment policies established by the elders.
- Leads and participates in regular meetings including (but not limited to) staff meetings, weekly pastor/director meetings, and weekly elders
- Serves like-minded GCC churches through coaching church planters, teaching, and speaking at conferences and services.
Vision, Spiritual Growth & Prayer
- Clearly, passionately, powerfully, and creatively communicates and models God’s vision, mission, and values for HBCM to staff, leaders, members, and attendees.
- Leads and models a culture of mutual ministry and care where God’s love, grace, and mercy are humbly and routinely
- Oversees the effective, integrated, and united operation of all church ministries.
- Seeks out, creates, and supports opportunities for members and attendees to use and develop their giftings to serve in the church, with the goal of consistent spiritual growth and mutual edification across our entire church family.
- Ensures HBCM activities, events, and ministries are sustainable, resourced, well-led, and contribute to the overall church mission and vision.
- Takes prayerful and loving ownership of the spiritual health and spiritual growth of the church, in plurality with the elder team (Hebrews 13:17, Acts 20:28).
- Encourages all ministries to be in prayerful reliance on the Holy Spirit and ensure this reliance is modeled, taught, and practiced in services and events.
- Encourages, leads, and teaches the priority of unceasing prayer in every believer’s life, particularly by modelling and teaching this at church-wide prayer meetings and other prayer initiatives.
Discipleship & Shepherding
- Together with the other elders, prayerfully envisions, develops, plans, and implements a clear discipleship pathway to effectively make and mature disciples of Jesus Christ in our urban, diverse, intergenerational context.
- Through the discipleship pathway, teaches and equips all believers to be faithful followers of Jesus Christ with clear biblical principles and teaching as a foundation.
- Evaluates the discipleship pathway for opportunities to make constructive ministry improvements and ways to improve their overall spiritual impact and effectiveness in believers’ lives.
- Encourages and trains lay leaders to make disciples who effectively share and live out the gospel before their families, communities, social networks, and spheres of influence.
- Provides personal, direct pastoral care to the elders, staff, key leaders and their families.
- Provides pastoral care to the congregation as needed.
- Loves people with Christ-like love; Model compassion to those in need; Model patience with those in the process of spiritual growth.
Missions & Outreach
- Does the work of an evangelist (Mark 16:15, 2 Timothy 4:5).
- Consistently communicates the Gospel as part of the preaching and teaching.
- Ensures HBCM meaningfully contributes to the needs of the vulnerable in Markham and beyond.
- Ensures HBCM is intentionally involved in missions in Markham, the GTA, and globally.
- Ensures that the church is cultivating positive relationships in Markham and York Region in ways that advance the gospel. This includes our relationships with local government and law enforcement, other local churches and charities, local hospitals and first responders, and local neighbourhoods and communities.
- Networks with pastors across the GCC network to maintain strong relationships for the mission of spreading the Gospel and advancement of His kingdom across the world.
- Supports and cultivates relationships in our partnerships with global missions and compassion agencies.
- Develops and leads a robust training strategy and process for equipping potential church planters.
- Cultivates relationships with potential planters and church planting partners through the GCC.
- Provides pastoral care for church planters throughout the training process and after the church has been planted.
- Communicates with potential church planting partners about planting opportunities.
- Identifies and develops funding streams for church planting.
- Must be a mature follower of Jesus Christ with a clear testimony of faith in Jesus Christ and a passionate, growing personal relationship with Him, displayed by love for Jesus and others (Matthew 22:37-39).
- Must meet the biblical qualifications of an elder (1 Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:5-9, 1 Peter 5:1-5).
- Must demonstrate a servant’s heart (Mark 10:42-45) and be teachable and humble (Philippians 2:3-7).
- Pursues holiness and humility (Ephesians 4:1-24).
- Must be a devoted man of prayer.
- Embodies the qualities of a Spirit-filled life and must be increasing in the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-26).
- Must be maturing spiritually (Colossians 2:6-7).
- Must be thought well of by outsiders (1 Timothy 3:7).
- Must possess a significant gift for preaching and teaching the Word of God.
- Must have strong organizational and relational abilities.
- Must demonstrate initiative, creativity, and excellence in leading the ministry of the church.
- Must be a ministry builder and equipper (Ephesians 4:11-12) with skill in recruiting, developing, evaluating, and encouraging staff and lay
- Must be able to motivate and direct others toward a consistent, fruitful development of quality disciples.
- Must be committed to ongoing personal improvement, with a clear understanding of his own strengths and weaknesses.
Chemistry & Conviction
- Must be committed to the local church and active in building community (Acts 2:42-47).
- Must demonstrate an ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with the staff, the other elders, and any lay leaders under his oversight.
- Must be effective and articulate in corporate and interpersonal communication.
- Must be able to encourage, inspire, and motivate others towards excellence.
- Must be in full agreement with HBCM’s doctrinal statement and beliefs, sharing a commitment to the mission, vision, direction, foundational priorities, and ministry strategy of HBCM.
Capacity & Personal
- Highly motivated, action-oriented, displaying focus, passion and initiative
- Strong work ethic and time management skills.
- Organized and able to manage multiple simultaneous tasks and projects
- Strong attention to detail and focus on excellence, “as unto the Lord.”
- Fulfill all ministry responsibilities while maintaining a healthy personal and family life.
- Has a supportive spouse.
- Full time
- Education - Minimum of an under-grad degree in Biblical studies, Masters level preferred
- Salary to be determined, based on qualifications and experience
- Family benefits package included
- Retirement contribution plan
- Vacation based on experience
- Moving expenses, to be determined