|Location||New Hamburg, Canada|
|Date Posted||January 10, 2023|
Duration: May to August 31
The LIT & ACE Leader oversees the leadership development programs at Hidden Acres:
- ACE, which stands for Advanced Camper Experience, is for our 15 year old campers. It lays the foundation for developing leaders for both camp and the broader community.
- LIT, which stands for Leaders-In-Training, is for our 16 year old campers. It builds on the foundation that is laid in the ACE program and further develops leaders.
Requirements for all Staff
- Motivated to make a difference and have a positive impact on our society and community.
- Has a genuine love for, and interest in, working with children, including those who have emotional, physical, behavioural, or developmental special needs, in an inclusive summer camp program.
- Has knowledge of the Christian faith and is willing to work supportively in a faith-based setting.
- Is able to find a healthy balance between following directions and taking initiative to see what needs to be done and do it.
- Is able to find a healthy balance between working hard to accomplish what needs to be done, achieve personal goals, motivate others to have fun while having fun yourself, and contribute to meeting the mission of Hidden Acres.
- Demonstrates flexibility, an ability to change tasks or directions with ease, and is willing to assist cooperatively in a variety of tasks and programs as time allows.
- Displays patience, a commitment to working well with others, and the ability to solve sometimes complex problems. This is all done while maintaining a positive attitude towards others and assigned tasks.
- Model excellent leadership behaviours and participate in all aspects of camp life.
- First Aid, CPR and/or lifeguarding qualifications (NL certification or higher) are an asset, but not required.
- Is able to participate in our two Staff Orientation events: a weekend in May (May 5th-6th) and a week at the end of June (June 25th-30th).
Requirements for the LIT & ACE Leader
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills including the ability to teach, mentor, organize, and lead groups of campers and LITs.
- Experience with wilderness camping and/or canoe trips is an asset, but not required.
- Previous summer camp experience or other related work experience is an asset, but not required.
- Prior to school groups and camp starting, read reports from past LIT & ACE Leaders and plan the program in its entirety. The program consists of four main areas:
- LIT Canoe Trip – in partnership with Coldwater Canada, help to facilitate a 7-day canoe trip in the Temagami region of Ontario alongside trained Coldwater staff.
- LIT Training and Practical Experiences – using the provided curriculum and outline, organize and implement the training and practical experience the LITs will participate in, the focus of which are on leadership, faith building, character development, hands on experience and receiving and implementing feedback.
- ACE (Advanced Camper Experience) Program - plan and implement the ACE Program that is for campers who are turning 15 years old and is a part of the overall program during one of our Overnight Camps. The program intends to develop faith, leadership and self-awareness through devotionals, service projects, team-building exercises and other activities.
- LIT Wrap-up! - plan and implement an end-of-summer opportunity for the LITs to debrief, reflect on their experiences from the summer and celebrate together.
- Connect with LITs prior to the start of summer.
- Be available to LITs to coach and mentor them throughout their weeks of practical experience.
- Facilitate the LIT’s integration with the staff team for one day during orientation week and on an ongoing basis throughout the summer.
- Coordinate with Program Director and Program Coordinator for LIT assignments during practical weeks.
- Hold LITs accountable to camp policies and practices.
- Be willing to take on Cabin Leading responsibilities as needed.
- Be available to help in other areas of the camp program as a member of the staff team as needed.
- Submit a written report, due within two weeks of camp ending that includes a description of your program area of responsibility, an evaluation of the programs, a final inventory of supplies and recommendations for the next year.
- The LIT & ACE Leader is responsible to the Program Director.
Note: A completed Hidden Acres Staff application and a current police record check for the vulnerable sector are required before starting any Hidden Acres’ staff position.
The mission of Hidden Acres Mennonite Camp and Retreat Centre is to provide a welcoming, peaceful gathering place where diverse groups of people experience life-giving connections with God, one another, and nature. We strive to live out our mission statement in our hiring practices, welcoming and encouraging applications from diverse groups. Accommodations are available on request for candidates. Please let us know how we can help you in the application and hiring process.
To apply, go to: https://hiddenacres.ca/opportunities/summer-camp-staff.