|Date Posted||September 13, 2023|
Yonge Street Mission (YSM) is a vibrant, non-profit Christian organization leading a collective movement to end chronic poverty in Toronto. Since 1896, we’ve worked to transform the lives of people living with poverty, going beyond immediate needs by offering wrap-around support via holistic programs and services, and a pathway which enables street-involved youth, families in need, adults experiencing poverty and vulnerable communities to move from surviving to thriving.
To make this happen, we are passionate about investing in the people we work with, and look for a diverse range of staff who are key for us to advance our mission: Christians who have a heart for neighbours in need, a desire to transform the lives of our community members, and who believe in treating everyone with dignity and respect.
If you are inspired by our vision and feel a true call to contribute to YSM’s work, we’d love to hear from you.
What We Offer:
As a staff member at YSM, some of the things you can look forward to include a values-based and highly collaborative and engaging work environment with a high value on staff’s mental health and well-being; meaningful, innovative and impactful work, with opportunities to make a difference in the lives of children, families, and the community, as well as flexible hybrid work arrangements. Our competitive Total Rewards compensation package also includes Group RRSP matching, annual leave and paid personal days, comprehensive health and dental care coverage, an Employee and Family Assistance Program that includes counselling services by Christian professionals, and numerous other perks.
We are seeking a Mental Health Counsellor to join our Mental Health and Counselling Services Department, as we work to achieve our ambitious goal to end chronic poverty in Toronto in one generation. The Mental Health Counsellor will provide community based psychotherapy to address mental health barriers of individuals, couples and families impacted by poverty, supporting their goals and growth. We work holistically and collaboratively to ensure they reach positive outcomes towards mental health stability and their full potential. This is a 37.5/hrs per week, full time position.
Reporting directly to the Manager, Mental Health & Counselling Services; the successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Conduct bio-psycho-social intake and formulate treatment plan with a trauma informed knowledge, client centred and strength based approach
- Provide community based counselling and work in collaboration with internal and external resources to support client growth towards their identified goals and employment focus
- Ensure high quality clinical interventions by reviewing and researching update evidence based best practices
- Deliver remotely and in-person as needed, goal-focused treatment and intervention plans in partnership with individuals, couples and families, working towards improving functioning at home, school/work, and in the community based upon comprehensive, strength-based assessment
- Creatively develop and facilitate psychoeducational workshops and group work to address mental health barriers remotely and in-person as required.
- Maintain client records according to professional standards of their affiliated regulated body and maintain accurate YSM monthly statistical information.
- Respond and deescalate community members mental health crises during working hours as needed
- Maintain an ongoing network among other YSM staff to ensure integration of support and care management to enhance client success and positive outcomes
The successful candidate will have the following skills and training:
- Master’s degree in Social Work, Clinical Psychology or Counselling.
- Registration and good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers and/or the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario and possess professional liability insurance .
- Minimum 3 years (preferably post-graduate) working with youth, adults and families living with low income and or experiencing poverty.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience conducting bio-psycho-social assessments, providing evidence informed interventions with youth, adults and families experiencing mental health conditions as challenges to obtain and or maintain a meaningful income.
- Demonstrated ability to work with multi-need clients utilizing a therapeutic goal-focused approach
- Demonstrates knowledge and experience to practice remotely and in person counselling and group sessions.
- Demonstrated ability to work from and implement a strengths-based and trauma informed philosophy of services.
- Knowledge of and experience in the delivery of evidence based clinical interventions, including Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Narrative Therapy, Motivational Interviewing , Brief Solution Focused therapy, Emotionally focused Therapy and Trauma informed therapy.
- Experience in providing family therapy.
- Sensitivity to and ability to work with a diverse client and staff group.
- Strong care management, administrative and organizational skills
- Ability to work in collaboration with other staff for a common goal
- Knowledge of relevant community resources and strong networking skills.
- Excellent personal management skills , effectively manage time and multiple responsibilities
- A police check will be required / First Aid & CPI training is an asset
- Demonstrated personal commitment to YSM’s principles of faith, mission and values
- Able to provide flexibility in schedule where required
- Ability to work some evenings may be required
Deadline for Application: September 29, 2023
Start Date: ASAP
Link to Application: https://ysm.bamboohr.com/careers/219
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Learn more about YSM at www.ysm.ca
Date Posted: September 13, 2023