|Location||2176 Prince of Wales Drive, Ottawa, Canada|
|Date Posted||November 21, 2022|
The Pastor of Community Life works with the PET to foster an environment of strong community groups at The Met. He leads with a firm conviction of the value of a culture where one-to-one discipleship is key. The Community group ministry is to be a Word-centric, people-to-people ministry. This will be done through the following:
Managing the Community Group Ministry: The Pastor of Community Life oversees the teaching and training component of this ministry with staff assistance for the Community Group operations (approximately 70% of time):
- Seeks out leaders, and others to join the journey of discipleship, who demonstrate a strong orientation to discipleship and then intentionally disciple them to be discipleship teachers;
- Develops or seeks out discipleship making material for The Met congregation, and adapt to different age / stage ministries;
- Develops vibrant and compelling training programs to identify, encourage, equip and engage Community Group leaders;
- Evaluates curriculum for Community Group leaders;
- Regularly visits all Community Groups, participates in the weekly Bible studies, and provides regular feedback to group leaders to help them grow in their teaching;
- Develops questions weekly for Community Groups based on the Sunday sermons that encourage discussion, promote spiritual growth, and encourage all to participate in the discussion;
- Develops innovative means to engaging the church-wide community to be regular, growing participants in the Community Group Program;
- Consistently seeks out success in this ministry and brings these principles to The Met; and,
- Shares our Community Group experience with other churches.
Modelling and promoting one-to-one discipleship: The Pastor of Community Life will model the practice of personal discipleship and encourage the congregation to a discipleship-oriented culture (Approximately 20% of time):
- He will, at any given time, be intentionally discipling 2-4 members of the congregation, with the intention that they would become disciplers to others; and,
- He provides intentional training and encouragement for the wider congregation in how to disciple others effectively.
Developing a culture of discipleship through reading: The Pastor of Community Life will encourage reading as a discipleship tool (Approximately 10% of time):
- Co-ordinates the congregational reading program to encourage and engage the congregation in their discipleship journey; and,
- Manages the Hub bookstall.
Performing other related duties:
- Participates in ministry staff and all-staff meetings, and prayer meetings;
- Fulfills the professional development requirements;
- Participates in the performance review process, including developing (and reporting on) personal goals with the Lead Pastor to enhance ministry performance;
- Completes reporting requirements in a thorough and timely manner;
- In due course, and depending on gifting and experience, there may be opportunities in leading Sunday service leading; and,
- Works with the PET on visioning, developing and implementing other discipleship initiatives.
The position is full time (37.5 hours weekly) and as a salaried position it is expected that the incumbent will often be called upon for additional requirements.
The Metropolitan Bible Church ("The Met", www.metbiblechurch.ca) has been a lighthouse for the gospel in Canada’s capital region since 1931. Our mission is to glorify God by making disciples of Jesus Christ, together engaging people with the gospel, establishing believers in the gospel and equipping servants of the gospel, in our nation’s capital and the nations of the world. The Met was established 90 years ago in the midst of the Great Depression by a group of godly visionaries. The first service was held on the second floor of a building in the heart of Ottawa where a missionary delivered the first message. In a very short period the Metropolitan Tabernacle was built in downtown Ottawa. Since its inception the commitment to being a regionally focused, Bible teaching church has never wavered. The church has a strong history of expository Bible teaching. When The Met outgrew its building on Bank Street, it moved in 2010 to beautiful facility at one of the region’s busiest intersections. The Met continues to have a significant gospel impact in the region, across Canada, and globally.
The Met is located in Canada’s capital city of Ottawa, within 80km of the US border and home to over 1,000,000 in the Metro area. Ottawa has the most educated population among Canadian cities and is home to a number of post-secondary, research, and cultural institutions. There are definitely 4 seasons in Ottawa, with summer highs around 26C (80F), and winter lows of -14C (6F). There are many parks in the region for hiking, walking and cycling. Ottawa’s median age is 40, which is lower than both the provincial and national averages. Ottawa has the 6th highest total household income in Canada. As the nation’s capital, Ottawa hosts several seasonal cultural events and is home to professional sports teams.
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications will be reviewed but only qualified candidates will be contacted.