|493 County Rd 27, Consecon, Canada
|January 10, 2024
Reports To: Camp Director
Period: July & August
Salary: $700.00 - $800.00
Located in the heart of Prince Edward County, the scenic waterfront property is surrounded by water, Lake Ontario, North Beach and Pleasant Bay, a truly magnificent location! Pleasant Bay is a youth-focused high adventure Christian camp that exists to give our children a memorable summer experience, helping them discover, live, and share the good news found only in Christ. For sixty years, Pleasant Bay achieved our mission while having fun, building relationships, fostering leadership and skills development for our campers and staff.
The Waterfront Director is a key position with responsibility to ensure the safety of staff and campers when using any of our waterfront areas. The primary function of this role is to provide a high level of safety at the waterfront areas and supervision of the lifeguards as well as organizing and scheduling all waterfront activities. The Waterfront Director will serve as a mentor, leader, and supervisor, developing the lifeguard’s skills while also walking alongside them in their faith development. The Waterfront Director sets the atmosphere and culture of this team. The goal is to provide a Christ-centred, safe, and fun atmosphere for campers and staff.
This position requires the individual to be at least 18 years old, hold a current NLS certificate, Current First Aid Certificate, CPR-C and AED and have a minimum of 250 hours of lifeguarding and/or instructing experience. Current National Lifeguard Waterfront Instructor certification is an asset. A pleasure craft operating license is an asset.
- Model Godly Character – Practice regular prayer and encouragement, resolve conflicts in a loving way, be good stewards of the site and ensure campers are cared for.
- Organize Waterfront Supervision – Direct Lifeguards to ensure all scheduled waterfront activities area appropriately supervised by qualified lifeguards and direction of staff ensuring the safety of campers and staff at the beach. Lead daily team meetings including a time of prayer.
- Oversee Lifeguards – Train the lifeguarding team in proper protocols. Develop a system of supervision and scheduling of lifeguards for all front waterfront activities (swimming, tubing, kayaking and other water activities)
- Safety – Ensures safety signs are always posted and clearly visible and informs lifeguarding staff and participates of hazards and safety rules. Maintains lifeguarding equipment and first aid kit with daily safety checks and reporting any issues to Camp Director.
- Emergency Procedures – Oversees and executes emergency procedures and use safety/rescue equipment. Organizes and conducts drills for waterfront rescue and search, completes camper rollcall each session.
- Facilitate Swim Tests & Time – Facilitate opening day swim tests, in cooperation with the lifeguards, always maintain an active presence.
- Maintain Waterfront Area– Establish a system and routine for regular cleaning and maintaining of all waterfront areas and equipment. Conduct weekly inspections, including the docks, reporting maintenance needs to Director. Prepare waterfront, equipment, review, update and communicate written materials, including policies and procedures.
- Health Safety – Adhere to all current health safety protocols as outlined by Camp Management. Always accountable to the camp policies and procedures. Participation in Summer Staff training and team meetings is required.
- Other duties – Other duties as assigned by the Camp Director or Supervisor (may include leading campfires or support roles)
- Be a Christian – Demonstrate a mature Godly character, with a desire and ability to care for children with kindness and respect.
- Be Servant-Hearted – Have a servant attitude, being flexible and willing to pitch in and assist as part of the team.
- Be a Good Communicator – Demonstrate strong communication skills with parents and guardians, suppliers, children, staff, and other guests.
- Be Enthusiastic & Approachable – Present an upbeat and pleasant personality with a helpful attitude towards all.
- Be a Problem Solver – Remain calm under pressure and deal with challenging situations wisely and selflessly.
- Be a Good Listener – Create a safe space and be attentive to the needs of others.
- Be Willing to Grow – Be a teachable person of integrity.
- Police Check – If applicable provide a current police check
Conditions of Work & Benefits
- You will be provided with accommodation and all your meals while employed.
- Working at Camp is physically demanding, with long stretches on the go without a break. Daily time off will be scheduled by the Director. Weekly time off begins on Saturdays when all closing day duties are completed. It ends at the beginning of the Family Camp chapel on Sunday mornings.
- You will agree to understand Pleasant Bay Adventure Camp Statement of Faith, Mission Statement, Values, Vision and Code of Conduct and uphold them while serving on our team.
If you have you would like to apply for this posting, submit a cover letter and resume to Nick Dorazio, Camp Director, firstname.lastname@example.org