Summer Program Coordinator
|Location||New Hamburg, Canada|
|Date Posted||February 9, 2023|
Duration: Early May to August 31
The Summer Program Coordinator is a key role at camp providing leadership for the summer camp staff and all of the school and summer camps programs. Some of the areas of responsibility are overseeing the creation and implementation of the schedules, themes and activities for the programs, supervising the summer camp staff team (along with the Program Director and Assistant Program Directors) and working with the Program Director to ensure that all of the campers and staff have positive experiences at camp.
Requirements for all Staff
- Motivated to make a difference and have a positive impact on our society and community.
- Has a genuine love for, and interest in, working with children, including those who have emotional, physical, behavioural, or developmental special needs, in an inclusive summer camp program.
- Has knowledge of the Christian faith and is willing to work supportively in a faith-based setting.
- Is able to find a healthy balance between following directions and taking initiative to see what needs to be done and do it.
- Is able to find a healthy balance between working hard to accomplish what needs to be done, achieve personal goals, motivate others to have fun while having fun yourself, and contribute to meeting the mission of Hidden Acres.
- Demonstrates flexibility, an ability to change tasks or directions with ease, and is willing to assist cooperatively in a variety of tasks and programs as time allows.
- Displays patience, a commitment to working well with others, and the ability to solve sometimes complex problems. This is all done while maintaining a positive attitude towards others and assigned tasks.
- Model excellent leadership behaviours and participate in all aspects of camp life.
- First Aid, CPR and/or lifeguarding qualifications (NL certification or higher) are an asset, but not required.
- Is able to participate in our two Staff Orientation events: a weekend in May (May 5th-6th) and a week at the end of June (June 25th-30th).
Requirements for the Summer Program Coordinator
- Is able to handle having primary responsibility for the overall summer camp program, supervise staff along with the Assistant Program Directors (as appropriate) and provide feedback for staff evaluations.
- Has a commitment to one’s faith journey and the ability to live out Christian principles.
- Is able to participate in, and help provide leadership for staff training events: a weekend in May and Orientation Week in June.
- Has strong communication skills for both individual conversations as well as small and large group conversations and activities.
- Is able to creatively and enthusiastically organize and effectively lead small and large-group activities for campers and staff.
- Is able to assist the Outdoor Education Director in planning and implementing outdoor education programs for school groups with a goal of providing a meaningful educational experience for the students.
- Has interest, knowledge and skill in activities relating to camp programs including sports, recreation, team-building activities, large group games, etc.
- Previous summer camp experience or other related work experience is an asset.
- Prior to school groups and camp starting, read reports from past Summer Program Coordinators.
- Assist the Outdoor Education Director and Program Director in planning and leading overnight, and supporting them for one-day, outdoor education experiences for school groups during the spring season.
- Assist in other tasks as assigned by the Program Director during the spring season.
- Co-plan, along with the Program Director and Assistant Program Directors, the staff orientation events teaching the staff the necessary skills for the summer program.
- Oversee the planning and implementation of all summer camp programs in detail according to the ages, interests and abilities of the campers, including schedules, activities, staff assignments, etc.
- Provide leadership and guidance to the staff leading activities and enable them to be effective in carrying out their responsibilities as part of the staff team.
- With the Program Director, facilitate the daily staff meetings.
- Along with the Assistant Program Director(s), facilitate the dining room at meal times.
- Organize the purchase of supplies and ensure all equipment (e.g. archery, canoeing, etc.) is inventoried and maintained in good repair and its usage is logged throughout the summer.
- Submit a written report, due within two weeks of camping ending that includes a description of your areas of responsibility, an evaluation of the programs, a final inventory of supplies and recommendations for the next year.
- The Summer Program Coordinator is responsible to the Program Director and the Outdoor Education Director.
Note: A completed Hidden Acres Staff application and a current police record check for the vulnerable sector are required before starting any Hidden Acres’ staff position.
The mission of Hidden Acres Mennonite Camp and Retreat Centre is to provide a welcoming, peaceful gathering place where diverse groups of people experience life-giving connections with God, one another, and nature. We strive to live out our mission statement in our hiring practices, welcoming and encouraging applications from diverse groups. Accommodations are available on request for candidates. Please let us know how we can help you in the application and hiring process.
To apply, go to: https://hiddenacres.ca/opportunities/summer-camp-staff.