|Date Posted||October 18, 2022|
Benediction Community Church (BCC) seeks a Worship Director (WD) to start immediately for a contract position, and requiring approximately 12 hours per week (negotiable). The WD reports to and is supported by the lead pastor.
We are a new (approx. 5yrs old), growing church plant in downtown Hamilton, Ontario, learning to practice the way of Jesus together. A benediction is literally a ‘good word’ and it’s our aim to be an embodied benediction for our community, that it might be in Hamilton as it is in heaven. Our community is accepting, hospitable, diverse, Gospel-centred, and a lot of fun. We have a majority of millennials, with some Gen X and Boomers too.
Belonging in BCC is expressed in two main rhythms: We scatter as Faith Families for community, discipleship, and mission in each other’s homes. We also gather for weekly worship and Gospel instruction at Word and Table. During Covid, Word and Table happened online, while Faith Families were suspended. Now we seek a creative, self-motivated, servant-hearted, Gospel-centred individual to oversee the planning and implementation of Word and Table — a lead worshipper who helps us re-engage authentically with God.
- Our ideal WD is a servant, leader, musician, organizer, artist, shepherd, theologian, neighbour, administrator, and an engaged Hamiltonian. S/he has a growing relationship with God, and believes what Jesus believed, loves what Jesus loved, and gives time to the things Jesus did. S/he meets the qualifications for deacons in 1Tim 3:8-13.
- Our ideal WD appreciates diverse theological voices, and can learn from the likes of Tim Keller, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Charlie Dates, Henri Nouwen, Jennifer Wilkin, C.S. Lewis, Aimee Byrd, Eugene Peterson, Fleming Rutledge, Bridget Eileen Rivera, Soong-Chan Rah, Brian Zahnd, Rachel Held Evans, N.T. Wright, Sam Alberry, John Piper, and Bradley Jersak. Our WD knows that to quote someone isn’t an endorsement of all the author has ever said or done.
- Our ideal WD is a competent musician, confident leading a congregation instrumentally and vocally.
- Theological Education and experience on a church staff are assets, but not required.
- The WD will be in essential agreement with the doctrine + practice of the Associated Gospel Churches of Canada, of which we are a member congregation. Our WD may be eligible to claim the clergy residence tax deduction.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Liturgies: In close collaboration with the pastor, the WD will shape the worship event by choosing songs, on-screen visuals, preludes / postludes, calls to worship, readings / prayers, seasonal art installations, and benedictions. Our liturgy borrows from many new and old traditions; in the same way, the WD will have considerable discretion to create and implement worship plans that suit the aim of the gathering.
- Music: Our ideal WD will lead worship regularly, if not weekly (negotiable). By their song choices, arrangements, and up-front leadership, s/he creates an environment where authentic worship happens naturally.
- Seasonal: Our WD will organize gatherings around the Christian calendar (e.g., Advent, Lent). Other liturgies may connect to cultural moments (e.g., Black + Indigenous history, Mental Health, Graduations, Dedications, etc.)
- Tools: The WD will have access to the administrative tools we currently use, and may implement new ones. Current systems include Planning Centre, Proclaim, CCLI Song Select, Google Docs, Apple Keynote, Zoom, and social media (Facebook, Instagram, etc.). The WD will also be responsible for safe setup and operation of our Audio / Visual equipment (mixer, screen, projector, speakers, microphones, cables, etc.) All necessary training will be provided.
- People: The WD (and their family, if applicable) will participate in the BCC community as a member. They will recruit, schedule, and mentor lay volunteers in the use of their gifts, and be above reproach with those in their care.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email your cover letter and resume (PDF format) to email@example.com. Include at least two references who can speak of observed, relevant ministry experience, competence, and character. We thank you for your interest; only those applicant we wish to consider will be contacted for an interview. For more info, visit www.benediction.church.