Youth Drop-In Worker, Full Time
|Date Posted||March 24, 2023|
Yonge Street Mission (YSM) is a vibrant, non-profit Christian organization leading a collective movement to end chronic poverty in Toronto. Since 1896, we’ve worked to transform the lives of people living with poverty, going beyond immediate needs by offering wrap-around support via holistic programs and services, and a pathway which enables street-involved youth, families in need, adults experiencing poverty and vulnerable communities to move from surviving to thriving.
To make this happen, we are passionate about investing in the people we work with, and look for a diverse range of staff who are key for us to advance our mission: Christians who have a heart for neighbours in need, a desire to transform the lives of our community members, and who believe in treating everyone with dignity and respect.
If you are inspired by our vision and feel a true call to contribute to YSM’s work, we’d love to hear from you.
What We Offer:
As a staff member at YSM, some of the things you can look forward to include a values-based and highly collaborative and engaging work environment with a high value on staff’s mental health and well-being; meaningful, innovative and impactful work, with opportunities to make a difference in the lives of children, families, and the community, as well as flexible hybrid work arrangements. Our competitive Total Rewards compensation package also includes Group RRSP matching, annual leave and paid personal days, comprehensive health and dental care coverage, an Employee and Family Assistance Program that includes counselling services by Christian professionals, and numerous other perks.
YSM is seeking a full time Youth Drop-In Worker. The successful candidate will work at our five day a week drop-in near Kensington Market for street-involved youth (16-24 years). You will be responsible for creating a safe space and low barrier environment for youth in need. You will help youth navigate relief and transformative services and additionally carry a small caseload. You will ensure the Street Involved Services follows YSM's best practice in delivering collaborative wrap-around care in order to help youth achieve their goals and break the cycle of recidivism and poverty.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Building meaningful relationships with the at-risk youth who access Evergreen services and challenging them to seek their full potential
- System Navigation and Advocacy for and with youth
- Providing accompaniment visits to court, jail, hospitals and other community locations
- Developing a specialized ministry to assist at risk youth in an area of your gifting
- Facilitate Low Barrier Programs that provide relief support and invite youth to a journey of transformation
- Document youth interaction and program activities as required in a timely, consistent and clear manner
- Participate actively in case conferencing
- Provide crisis intervention de-escalation
- Attending team and staff meetings; connect with other agencies and government organizations and network in the community to keep abreast of resources and current trends
The successful candidate will have the following skills and training:
- Post-secondary education in the social service field (preferred)
- Drop-in, service/program delivery experience with youth including street involved youth, socially isolated
- Demonstrate a strong interest in working with street-involved youth
- Ability to engage in conversation with a wide variety of personality types
- Enthusiasm for creative transformative community programs
- Ability to manage crisis situations
- Effective English written and oral communication skills and computer literacy
- Knowledge of Anti-Black Racism (ABR) framework and Trauma informed Care
- Good interpersonal skills; conflict resolution skills, crisis intervention; a self-starter
- A police check will be required / First aid training is an asset
- Demonstrated personal commitment to YSM’s principles of faith, mission and values
Deadline For Application: April 14, 2023
Starting Date: ASAP
Link to Application: https://ysm.bamboohr.com/careers/188
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Learn more about YSM at www.ysm.ca
Date Posted: March 24, 2023