|February 23, 2024
Yonge Street Mission (YSM) is a vibrant, non-profit Christian organization leading a collective movement to end chronic poverty in Toronto. Since 1896, we’ve worked to transform the lives of people living with poverty, going beyond immediate needs by offering wrap-around support via holistic programs and services, and a pathway which enables street-involved youth, families in need, adults experiencing poverty and vulnerable communities to move from surviving to thriving.
To make this happen, we are passionate about investing in the people we work with, and look for a diverse range of staff who are key for us to advance our mission: Christians who have a heart for neighbours in need, a desire to transform the lives of our community members, and who believe in treating everyone with dignity and respect.
If you are inspired by our vision and feel a true call to contribute to YSM’s work, we’d love to hear from you.
What We Offer:
As a staff member at YSM, some of the things you can look forward to include a values-based and highly collaborative and engaging work environment with a high value on staff’s mental health and well-being; meaningful, innovative and impactful work, with opportunities to make a difference in the lives of children, families, and the community, as well as flexible hybrid work arrangements. Our competitive Total Rewards compensation package also includes Group RRSP matching, annual leave and paid personal days, comprehensive health and dental care coverage, an Employee and Family Assistance Program that includes counselling services by Christian professionals, and numerous other perks.
We are seeking a Manager of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). Reporting to the President & CEO, this role will provide guidance and support in identifying opportunities for best practices on DEI. This role will work closely with YSM’s Agape Committee and the People & Culture department, and liaise with managers and staff to facilitate the integration of inclusion, diversity and equity within our policies, programs, and services, and will be called upon to offer guidance and support to internal staff and external mission partners, volunteers, and service providers.
- In conjunction with the Agape Committee and People & Culture, manage the development and maintenance of a DEI framework to identify and report on development opportunities and present solutions aligned to YSM’s core values and purpose, especially those areas identified in its long-term DEI strategy;
- Manage the implementation of the DEI action steps to ensure goals are achieved and ongoing progress is measured and celebrated;
- Provide logistical, planning and meeting support to the Agape Committee;
- Work closely with the People & Culture department in integrating DEI material (training, policies, procedures, metrics) to help create a more equitable and inclusive YSM;
- Develop, facilitate and/or procure training that fosters an inclusive culture, with emphasis on topics such as human rights and harassment, anti-racism, unconscious bias, allyship, civility and respect, cultural competence, etc.;
- Track and report on key data that reflect gaps and opportunities in the DEI policies, programs, and processes, recommending improvements as necessary;
- Offer advice and share perspective, insights, and knowledge to enable relevant decision-making and strategic priority setting;
- Offer knowledge and guidance to lead diverse teams, supporting employees to be and do their best around DEI principles;
- Maintain and create a calendar of DEI education for staff, volunteers and other key mission partners.
- University Degree in Human Resources, Psychology, Social Work, Social Justice or a related field, and/or equivalent relevant experience;
- Working knowledge of employment and human rights legislation;
- Preference will be given to those with lived experience of equity-seeking concerns, along with the challenges that come with inequity as a member of the BIPOC community;
- 3 years hands-on experience working with policies and frameworks that support DEI initiatives;
- Trained in anti-black racism (ABR) and the application of ABR principles;
- Experience with design and facilitation of DEI topics including anti-racism, anti-oppression, unconscious bias, cultural competence;
- Work experience in the non-profit sector would be an asset;
- Strong cross-cultural, communication and interpersonal skills with proven ability to successfully approach, build trust, listen and communicate across multiple cultures and intersectionalities, and across YSM’s programs and operations from an anti-oppressive framework;
- Excellent project management skills, and proven successful execution of DEI initiatives from start to finish (follow through);
- Proficiency in G-Suite of applications and other office applications;
- Demonstrated personal commitment to YSM’s principles of faith, mission and values.
Deadline for Application: Until position is filled
Link to Application: https://ysm.bamboohr.com/careers/234
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Learn more about YSM at www.ysm.ca
Date Posted: February 23, 2024